SUPERIMPERIALIST AMERICA ERA TWO: Two Paths (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 03:32:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  SUPERIMPERIALIST AMERICA ERA TWO: Two Paths (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SUPERIMPERIALIST AMERICA ERA TWO: Two Paths  (Read 81871 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: October 20, 2004, 06:40:09 PM »

I have to say that this is the best Alternate History timeline that I have read. It is well done and accurate. Your incorporation of Real World leaders into this alternate timeline is also nice and gives it a good base to work off of. The one thing that I have to say is that Electoral counts are off. I think that if the United States did grow that larger than Electoral votes would be given out differently. The EV's of the actual 50 states are the same but when you have states that have 50 or 60 EVs then you know that you will have to change the way the EVs are destributed in the actual United States. I don't know maybe I'm crazy. Well anyway very nicely done and continue the good work.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 05:18:24 PM »

Yes I did.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 02:25:49 PM »

Harry keep this coming. This is one of the best and most detailed Alternate History Timelines I have seen. You should write a book about this timeline. I would suggest to you a book called For Want of a Nail it is a AtlHist classic and would be in the style of writing that would be best if you every decided to turn this into book.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 05:04:31 PM »

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Great Harry, keep it going.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:32:23 PM »

Don't update. O if you do update start a timeline that isn't this side of ASB.

True. Ameri-wank is about as typical as Coca-Cola.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 07:39:18 PM »

And usually uninteresting and bland. I may lean towards using larger americas but I at least make them more interesting.

Well if you're going to make something wank make it interesting. You know something I haven't ever seen? An interesting and well thought out Argentina-wank scenario. I think its possible and it would be loads of fun.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 08:00:25 PM »

And usually uninteresting and bland. I may lean towards using larger americas but I at least make them more interesting.

Well if you're going to make something wank make it interesting. You know something I haven't ever seen? An interesting and well thought out Argentina-wank scenario. I think its possible and it would be loads of fun.
It is very possible and OTL is pretty much the worst possible realistic outcome for argentina. I coudl easilly see a TL where we have a first world argentina with 70 million people without it even remotely hitting argentina-wank levels. As for a bigger, beefier argentina? I'm afraid I'm at a lost. Argentina still in our borders but first world and richer I can easilly do but not a full blown argentina-wank.

Yeah that's about as wanky as you can get but that's still alot better.

You are absolutely right though Argetina in OTL is probably as bad as it can be in any timeline. Everything went wrong for that country from its beginning. I could see Argentina taking over Chile and Uruguay and possibly parts of Rio Grande Do Sul and other parts of Southern Brazil. But yeah a larger more sucessful Argentina is a very interesting scenario.

More interesting would be to replace nations. Have Argentina become a first world superpower by 2000 and the United States a poorer nation, part of the developing world, that has gone through many dictatorships and military governments. I've always thought you could do something like this by making the Business Plot successful in the US while having guys like Mitre and Yrigoyen in Argentina more pro-industry and less export oriented and having the government of Yrigoyen successfully stop the government overthrow by the military in 1932.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 08:20:59 PM »

Way, way too late. If you want south america to replace North America as the center of power you have to do the following

1 Have the US start cutting off immigration after 1848

2 Have the brazillian monarchy get enough of a shock to the system(1848 reovlutions spread to the new world maybe?) to force real reform so we get earlier reforms.

3 Have the 1848 revolutions spread to the southern cone and force changes

The result of all this is a richer, more industrialized and much stronger Brazil, Argentina, uruguay and Chile and a much poorer, less industrialized and more agrarian(more vulnerable to economic shocks) United States. Such a US would be prone to coups anytime from 1870 to 1900(in that period we had period mini-depressions; basically short sharp crashes) and be more likely to go over the edge into despotism of the right/left in the 1930s. You can get your prosperous southern cone/poorer america idea but you just need an earlier POD.

I don't even want a stronger South America, it can remain a sh**thole like now, I'm just talking about Argentina though if I was going to actually play out a scenario like that I would basically go back to 1810 or so.

Do you think that if the British had taken over the Rio De La Plata during the Napoleanic Wars and had kept them that would create a better lasting effect for the area we now know as Argentina?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies