How maturely have forum Democrats handled their party's loss?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:54:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How maturely have forum Democrats handled their party's loss?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: How maturely have forum Democrats handled their party's loss?
Very (hack)

Somewhat

Not at all

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: How maturely have forum Democrats handled their party's loss?  (Read 5952 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »

Do you not think that what you're doing, making broad-swept generalizations about groups that effectively ignore the autonomy of individual actors, isn't much better than condescension?

IMO, yes.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't devote energy to it here because this forum is overwhelmingly Democratic-leaning. IRL, when talking to more conservative people, I can be very critical of Republicans.

See above.

Since when have I claimed to be moderate Huh  

No really, I'm not saying "all Democratic voters are elitist jerks", I'm saying "forum Democrats and Democratic elites are generally condescending".
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2010, 06:02:06 PM by Alcon »

I don't devote energy to it here because this forum is overwhelmingly Democratic-leaning. IRL, when talking to more conservative people, I can be very critical of Republicans.

See above.

I did "see above," and it doesn't answer my objections.  You didn't explain why it's necessary to ignore individual autonomy and broadly criticize groups.  I still don't understand why you thought this topic would open up a dialogue, or fix anything, instead of just being inflammatory.  I get that you're saying that forum Democrats and Democratic elites are generally condescending.  What were you trying to do with this topic?  If your concern is maturity, it seems your topic is pretty self-defeating on all levels.  More than anything, what with the unnecessary generalization and self-justification through minority status, it's elitist condescension.

This is why:  You're complaining that liberal elites/intellectuals are condescending, and then justifying your own condescension by your minority status here.  This is exactly how those "elitists" justify many of the comments you're complaining about ("How stupid are Americans?").  You're calling "Democrats" immature because they insult the majority for rejecting their philosophies; they justify this condescension because they are in the political minority; and now you're defending your condescension and lack of ideological self-criticism because you're in the minority.  Your "how stupid are Americans?" is "how immature are Democrats here?"  Do you not see immense irony in that?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »

Vepres, the world did not end with Ken Buck lost. Grow up.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »

Vepres, the world did not end with Ken Buck lost. Grow up.

I really didn't care much about his loss, tbh.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2010, 11:06:24 PM »

I still don't understand why you thought this topic would open up a dialogue, or fix anything, instead of just being inflammatory.  I get that you're saying that forum Democrats and Democratic elites are generally condescending.  What were you trying to do with this topic?

I was pissed off when I made this thread. No real thought behind it.

A bit, I guess. Though, a difference I would point out is that I am using minority status to justify not criticizing one side, not to justify criticizing the other.

Although, is it elitist to be elitist towards elitists?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies