Why is the rule of "8 years for each party" so strict? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:58:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why is the rule of "8 years for each party" so strict? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is the rule of "8 years for each party" so strict?  (Read 3341 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« on: December 08, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »

Why is it so hard for Democrats to hold the White House when they don't run an incumbent?

Haven't since 1856 (yeah, I know, I know...Gore won the popular vote...that's why I said it was hard, not impossible).
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:03:36 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2014, 10:05:38 PM by TheElectoralBoobyPrize »

Why is it so hard for Democrats to hold the White House when they don't run an incumbent?

Haven't since 1856 (yeah, I know, I know...Gore won the popular vote...that's why I said it was hard, not impossible).

It's a quirk of history arising from the post-Civil War Republican strength and FDR running 4 times.

It also seems to be that Democrats have a knock-down, drag-out fight for the presidential nomination when they don't have a sitting president in the running (1860, 1896, 1920, 1952, 1968), thus weakening them for the general. Republicans...not so much.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Roosevelt's win was narrower in '44 than '40...I think a nonincumbent Dem would've probably won in '40 due to the improving economy (after the '37 recession) and because Democrats were the nation's majority party, but '44's unpredictable. It's difficult to imagine FDR not running (much easier to imagine him not running in '40).

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies