Almost 1,800 People Have Died in Seven Weeks in the Philippines’ War on Drugs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Almost 1,800 People Have Died in Seven Weeks in the Philippines’ War on Drugs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Almost 1,800 People Have Died in Seven Weeks in the Philippines’ War on Drugs  (Read 2764 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« on: August 28, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »

People still find him very popular -- there remains a general antipathy toward drug users that needs to be quashed. I'm also really sad to note that the Philippine left wing, which decried this kind of crap all throughout the Aquino years has been relatively quiet. I honestly think an attempt to oust him might lead to Davao declaring itself independent or something, which would have terrible geopolitical implications.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 04:57:45 PM »

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/580765/news/nation/asean-obama-silenced-by-photos-of-moros-killed-by-americans-duterte

And this is partially why the whole "he's violating human rights!" argument has fallen on deaf ears for many of the common citizenry.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 12:20:33 AM »

I think, the appropriate course of action would be to recognize Philippines as part of the Chinese "co-prosperity" sphere. Who cares about the wretched place? Let the Chinese bother about it.

I actually think Duterte would be okay with that. It'd give a closer semblance to the Philippine sovereignty espoused by the left and the political wings he supposedly associated with when he was younger. The rest of the Pilipinos probably wouldn't be.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:23:24 AM »

I think, the appropriate course of action would be to recognize Philippines as part of the Chinese "co-prosperity" sphere. Who cares about the wretched place? Let the Chinese bother about it.

I actually think Duterte would be okay with that. It'd give a closer semblance to the Philippine sovereignty espoused by the left and the political wings he supposedly associated with when he was younger. The rest of the Pilipinos probably wouldn't be.

Do you think the Chinese would keep him? I strongly doubt.

If you mean by keeping him, allowing him to remain in power beyond his term, no, but I don't actually think he's interested in that. He seems to be a person who truly believes in his ideology, and would step down if his term ended. As long as China gets their islands I'm sure they don't mind working with Duterte for six years.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 12:58:08 PM »

Reinforces the belief that the Philippines shouldn't have been given their freedom. Should have been kept and guided toward becoming US citizens/states.

I'm going to hope to God that this was a sarcastic statement.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 11:40:30 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 10:35:50 AM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

Reinforces the belief that the Philippines shouldn't have been given their freedom. Should have been kept and guided toward becoming US citizens/states.

I'm going to hope to God that this was a sarcastic statement.

Why?

The idea that either A) Being American is automatically synonymous with being good or better off and B) that an essentially conquered territory with a totally different people should not be allowed self-determination is a fundamental refutation of human rights.

Before anyone claims this version of the Pilipino government is any reason to have maintained direct imperial ties, the country wouldn't be in this mess if the US didn't throw its weight behind the Marcos regime in the first place, effectively destroying the country's civil society all because he was a staunch anti-communist.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies