Brazil Election - 5 October 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:13:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazil Election - 5 October 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brazil Election - 5 October 2014  (Read 125582 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: October 05, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »

According to O Globo, Aécio Neves won among Brazilian residents in Israel.

Aécio got 142 votes (69%), Marina 36 (17%) and Dilma 15 (7%). Luciana Genro and Eduardo Jorge got 4 and 3 votes, respectively.

Hundreds of Brazilian electors voted in Ramallah, but results haven't been publicised.

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »

I think she won't, but I wouldn't be so sure. That's why you will be mocked if she loses: being sure of the outcome of elections you know nothing about is risky.

I stand by my previous "infamous" prediction: Sarkozy will be re-elected. I just never said when.

And let's have a little check on yourself, buddy: you complain about arrogance but you are arrogantly sure that I "know nothing about" these races. 

Do you know anything about the race? It's possible that you know something, but I wouldn't give that for granted. Said this, it's obvious that Dilma has many chances of not being reelected. Did you predict in 2012 the reelection of Sarkozy in the 2017 race? If that's the case, I congratulate you for your developed clairvoyance (if Sarko wins the UMP nomination and the 2017 elections, of course). If that's not the case, you are competing at an advantage Wink
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »

Those swings in Bovespa were expected because "the markets" had a clear favourite. I think the medium and long terms are more important issues. To begin with, who is going to be the next minister of Economy and which way things turn on economic policies. Last but not least, Dilma has promised changes urged by the tight result. Will she able to implement a political reform in order to deal with the mess of the Brazilian Congress, which is a corruption nest?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »

In the link below (Portuguese), a list of hot issues to deal in the next four years:

http://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2014/10/27/politica/1414420879_686160.html

1) Complicated political reform. 2) Pending agrarian reform. 3) Indigenous issues (land-related conflicts). 4) Need to improve quality in education. 5) Insufficient financing of the public healthcare system. 6) Access to decent housing. 7) Drought is affecting energy production (69% is hydroelectric). 8 ) Violence (Brazil is placed 7th in the world ranking). 9) Overcrowded prisons. 10) Inflation and economic relaunch.

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 04:32:24 AM »

d) Don't rule out the risk of an energy crisis next year. The level of the hydro-electrical reservoirs is getting lower and lower on a scary pace. Water shortage is already a reality on many areas, by the way.

This is serious. Sao Paulo is facing the most severe drought in history and there's no way to guarantee water supply in the biggest Brazilian city. Aécio Neves and Dilma Rousseff blamed each other in the campaign, showing themselves as the mediocre politicians they are. Both fail to see the relation between the lack of rain and intense deforestation, which is cause of climate change. Even Marina Silva, supposedly an environmentalist, tiptoes on the subject. Apparently, Brazilian public doesn't care and their politicians are unwilling to warn Brazilians of the magnitude of the problem.  Alckmin was reelected in a landslide, despite his bad planning in order to face the crisis. Instead of warning citizens of the need of saving water, Alckmin assures that there will not be shortage. Furthermore, it seems that Dilma is committed to build a colossal hydroelectric power plant in the Tapajós river. Deforestation in Amazonas is again on the rise.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies