Trump: GOP will become "workers' party" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:42:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: GOP will become "workers' party" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: GOP will become "workers' party"  (Read 4446 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 28, 2016, 09:19:55 PM »

It's a little bit of a relief that Trump supporters (outside of this forum) aren't much crazier about universal health care than Cruz supporters (and less so than Kasich supporters. Perhaps small-government conservatism will prove to be a stronger force within the GOP than many here are predicting.

I am curious here.  My wife has just been diagnosed with cancer.  Even with good insurance, I am still facing significant out-of-pocket costs.  If I didn't have the insurance I have, I doubt my wife would have had the favorable prognosis she has received after surgery.

So what is the conservative plan for folks like me, had I been unemployed and there had been no Obamacare?  I'd really like to know.  You can say "Medical Savings Accounts", but how would that help me in my situation; I'm almost 60 and my wife and I have a 10 year old who also has medical issues.  We live quite modestly, and I don't complain about what I earn because I've made those choices, and my wife has made those choices for the benefit of our youngest son (we have 2 grown sons as well).  But, frankly, if I had lost my job and my health insurance, I don't see any way in the world my wife would have had the treatment she received.  We wouldn't have had the money, and she'd have been left to die.  Please tell me I'm wrong, but please don't tell me that America is a generous nation.  That's only true until a specific request for help is made, as least as far as we have been concerned.  If I'm as self-reliant as I can be, it's because I've seen how good others are at not giving a crap enough to provide tangible help.

Fuzzy, I am deeply, deeply sorry for your wife's diagnosis. I pray she beats it.

Your point is extremely apt. Does it go without saying that the 98+% of people against universal health care have health insurance?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »

How in the ever-loving name of Jesus tap-dancing Christ do you think lowering people's tax rates, even as much as a couple dollars a week (real money to most people), is going to address the kind of catastrophic health care coverage Fuzzy talked about? How on earth would address those working and earning too much for Medicaid but too little to afford free-market insurance?!?

There are alternatives to single payer and the "low tax savings accounts" silliness you proposed. Still, you want anecdotes? Fine. I had a Canadian friend who broke his leg in PA and adamantly refused to be admitted to the US healthcare system--particularly it's insurance scheme--and chose to have his friends drive multiple hours back across the border before he went to the hospital. I have Canadian friends and they (gasp) get news up there and am familiar with our "system". And yet none of them--not even the conservatives--would dream of exchanging it.

For that matter, how has Romneycare worked in Massachusetts? Any great call to repeal it? Didn't think so.

Quit using talking points. Your post is bad, and you should feel bad. Angry
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies