Republicans only: If Democrat is elected in 2020, will they be your president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:47:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Republicans only: If Democrat is elected in 2020, will they be your president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Republicans Only: If a Democrat is elected president in 2020, will they be "your president"?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Republicans only: If Democrat is elected in 2020, will they be your president?  (Read 1318 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »

We have seen the Democratic Party, leftists, liberals "resist" against the Trump-Pence administration and their policies.

To Republicans only, if a Democrat is elected president in 2020, will he or she be "your president", or "Not my president"?

(It's sad how low and partisan 21st century American politics have become that balkanized bases pick "their president" based on the party or the ideology).
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:07:58 PM »

Of course.  I believe in the US election process in that I will respect the wishes of the people.  Of course I want electoral reforms (runoff system, but that's an argument for a later time), but if a Democrat were to lose the popular vote, I wouldn't be like "NOT MY PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" That's just flat-out stupid.  I may hate everything he or she stands for (Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren), but he or she would still be my president.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:13:55 PM »

As my well-being and my nation's well-being are intertwined to a large degree, I certainly hope the current, and the next President succeeds in doing what's best for America.

I quit loathing Presidents after Nixon.  I've liked some more than others, but I'm also from an era where folks "voted the man" for President, even if they were straight-ticket partisans downballot. 
Rjjr77
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »

anyone who is elected president (of the US, as well as other organizations I belong to) is my president.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »

Yeah.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 11:05:07 PM »

While a divisive Democrat winning in 2020 would probably lead to many conservatives (not on this forum) shouting "not my president!", I do think most conservatives on this forum would accept the results. I think a more interesting question would be, would they "give him/her a chance"? Imagine it's not just a generic D, but your personal worst nightmare.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:25 PM »

Yes, of course.

While a divisive Democrat winning in 2020 would probably lead to many conservatives (not on this forum) shouting "not my president!", I do think most conservatives on this forum would accept the results. I think a more interesting question would be, would they "give him/her a chance"? Imagine it's not just a generic D, but your personal worst nightmare.

Sure, why not? If this person is my personal worst nightmare then I won't have to wait long to be upset. Tongue
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:15:53 PM »

I think the main reason why there have been so many "Not My President" protests against our current president is that he has been very unpopular overall, both during and after the election campaign. On the other hand, if a more popular candidate got elected the next time around, I can guarantee that there will be few, if any, "Not My President" protests against him or her, regardless of which political party he or she represents.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 11:55:53 PM »

Rephrase the question: If the Democrat won the electoral college but lost the popular vote, and was backed by a foreign power's targeted influence campaign.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 12:20:23 AM »

Rephrase the question: If the Democrat won the electoral college but lost the popular vote, and was backed by a foreign power's targeted influence campaign.

In 2004 the left wanted Kerry to challenge the election despite bush winning the popular vote by 3 points 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 01:39:18 AM »

In 2004 the left wanted Kerry to challenge the election despite bush winning the popular vote by 3 points 

Who cares? I'm guessing most people on this forum weren't very politically aware in 2004, and it has nothing to do with 2016 anyway.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 02:04:37 AM »

Who cares? I'm guessing most people on this forum weren't very politically aware in 2004, and it has nothing to do with 2016 anyway.

it totally does as it shows the left is totally hypocritical when it comes to this issue(not that the right is either).
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:06 AM »

Yes.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »

it totally does as it shows the left is totally hypocritical when it comes to this issue(not that the right is either).

No, the left is not hypocritical on this issue, because there was no challenge.

And there has never been an election in which the Democrat won the electoral college but lost the popular vote (even though the Cheeto-in-Chief claimed that Obama lost the popular vote in 2012--that was another one of his utter lies); each of the four elections where this happened benefited the Republican, so your position is invalid at this time.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »

No, the left is not hypocritical on this issue, because there was no challenge.

And there has never been an election in which the Democrat won the electoral college but lost the popular vote (even though the Cheeto-in-Chief claimed that Obama lost the popular vote in 2012--that was another one of his utter lies); each of the four elections where this happened benefited the Republican, so your position is invalid at this time.

Winning the popular vote and losing the Electoral College is just an unfortunate possibility, and even if you don't like it, it doesn't make sense to just go and call it "unfair" because it's primarily affected Democrats when it's been in place since the beginning of our country. I wouldn't mind electoral reform, but if I was a Democrat for the moment I'd accept that only going after the PV doesn't necessarily win an election, and focus more on trying to appeal to voters in areas that would help win the EC rather than playing "but we won the popular vote" like a broken record. My position isn't invalid either, since I am not affiliated with any political party, and agreeing with a party on several issues doesn't make you a member or mean you worship them. Also, I'm not sure what the benefit of calling Donald Trump "Cheeto-in-Chief" in a civilized discussion is.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »

I hated the way liberals talked about President Bush, and it did not stop me from welcoming President Obama in 2008 as "my President."  The President will always be "my President," whatever the hell that even means.  People who say "not my President" are probably either weird as hell or stupid as hell, and I probably wouldn't be friends with such folks anyway, so I don't care.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »

To be clear, I don't think "Not my President" is intended as a literal statement.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »

Of course. We have a Constitution, free and fair elections, and the President of the United States is the president of the entire country.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »

In 2012, the right wanted Romney to challenge the result, despite Obama winning the popular vote by four points. All this proves is that all Americans are immature when their side loses.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »

Yes, by definition. I would hope for their success, criticize when I disagree, and praise them  when I agree with them.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »

Well yeah of course. They'll be everyone's president who lives in the United States. However if a democrat is elected they'll most likely only be a one term president
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »

Well yeah of course. They'll be everyone's president who lives in the United States. However if a democrat is elected they'll most likely only be a one term president

I don't see back-to-back one-term presidents happening. Either Trump will be two terms, or his successor will be.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »

Republicans seem to complain that the Democrat won "unfairly" much more than the Democrats seem to.    If you want proof of this just look up all the "voter fraud" claims out there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies