Happy Neh-Vad-Duh Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:52:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Happy Neh-Vad-Duh Day!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Happy Neh-Vad-Duh Day!  (Read 539 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »

Not only is today Halloween, it's also Nevada's birthday, which is why students there get the day off. I was born in Reno and went to elementary school in the state.

Fun fact: Nevada became a state just in time to vote for Abraham Lincoln in his reelection bid.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 07:23:18 PM »

Thank you for pronouncing it the correct way. When people say "NeVAHda" it sounds like they're trying to be fake British, like Madonna.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:01:16 AM »

Not only is today Halloween, it's also Nevada's birthday, which is why students there get the day off. I was born in Reno and went to elementary school in the state.

Fun fact: Nevada became a state just in time to vote for Abraham Lincoln in his reelection bid.

Didn't it literally become a state to help support Lincoln in his re-election? I seem to remember reading that it might have been too small in population to become a state yet, but was fast-tracked anyway...

Also its hilarious that it became a state that early while it took 30 more years for Utah to become a state.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 02:31:14 AM »

Didn't it literally become a state to help support Lincoln in his re-election? I seem to remember reading that it might have been too small in population to become a state yet, but was fast-tracked anyway...

Was it?  That sounds like some serious election rigging right there.  The FBI should investigate Hillary for any possible involvement, stat.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »

Also its hilarious that it became a state that early while it took 30 more years for Utah to become a state.

The Northwest Ordinance made the 60,000 person requirement, but I'm not sure if that applied to land outside of the Northwest Territory.

Fun Fact: In 1864, Nevada only cast two votes in the Electoral College.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »

Was it?  That sounds like some serious election rigging right there.  The FBI should investigate Hillary for any possible involvement, stat.

Wait? Hillary Clinton is a time lord?

Abraham Lincoln didn't need Nevada's electoral votes to win.

Why does everyone outside of Nevada pronounce it the wrong way?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »

It's not spelled "Nevadda"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »

It's not spelled Nevaada either.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »

Being from central Indiana, saying Neh-Vah-Duh sounds rediculous. We like those twangy a sounds, so I guess we say it right. I imagine the reaction Nevadans feel to Neh-Vah-Duh is the same as when a Hoosier hears somebody say "Indianan". How cringeworthy and awful.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »

Wait? Hillary Clinton is a time lord?

Abraham Lincoln didn't need Nevada's electoral votes to win.

Why does everyone outside of Nevada pronounce it the wrong way?

If I recall, Lincoln thought the election would be much closer than it was, so he fast-tracked Nevada statehood through, then it turned out that McClellan was an idiot and Gettysburg a success.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies