New York Governor- 2014- Astornio vs Cuomo (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:17:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York Governor- 2014- Astornio vs Cuomo (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York Governor- 2014- Astornio vs Cuomo  (Read 19848 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« on: January 20, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »

Cuomo is completely unbeatable in the general election. He was actually kind of vulnerable to a primary until he laid out his new agenda. He can begin planning his Presidential campaign now.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »

Cuomo keeps my support and would have my vote. If he ran to govern the country like did New York, I'd support him over most Republicans. He's done a great job, if most Democrats were like him the GOP would be dead politically.

If only because having two right-wing parties would be redundant.

I don't think his statement is true though. Cuomo is essentially a true conservative without all the baggage associated with reactionary right wing politics. All those reactionaries need to go somewhere, and Cuomo isn't nearly racist/sexist/homophobic enough for them.

They'd go somewhere, but Cuomo closes off any path to victory for them nationwide.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

Certainly a long shot, but given the recent corruption questions surrounding Cuomo, is it possible that Teachout could have a better-than-expected showing in the primary?  I'm not suggesting she wins, I think that would require an upset even greater than Cantor's loss, but what if she gets around 40% of the vote, that would be very significant, I would imagine, in the GE, but I suppose Teachout voters would never back the Republican...

Actually given Cuomo's ethics issues, I wouldn't be surprised if Teachout won... The problem is she wouldn't beat Astorino in a General election.

Really?? Is there even any polling?

Nope. It's really all a question of turnout. Cuomo's fans are de-energized by the scandal, and the leftists who always disliked him are energized. This is the kind of primary that generally goes badly for incumbents.

That being said, NY is so big that I sort of doubt it'll happen. But he could get an embarrassing 10-point victory that basically ends him as a national candidate.

I'm not sure what would happen in a Teachout vs. Astorino general election. New York is pretty inelastic these days, but would the public really vote for an activist with no experience for governor of one of the US' biggest states?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »

I hope Teachout pulls out a miracle and wins this, then Hawkins and Teachout can combine forces and she would become governor

Cuomo is still on the Working Families Party's line, isn't he?  He could run a strong campaign from there, I feel.

If he did that, I think the split would make Astorino Governor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies