The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:56:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 109061 times)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 01:19:16 AM »

If the Democrats pick Perez, they can say goodbye to the Bernie wing. THose people won't be voting Democrat for a long time.

Who are we going to be voting for, then?

the green party.

The Greens last cycle were literally not on the ballot for 499.884 of the 500.000 odd electoral offices in the United States. There was no candidate, so you could not vote for them.

The Green Party exists to give those of us on the (far) left a feel-good option on the ballot. It has zero interest in building a real political force, nor in accomplishing anything more. It's a vanity party and I think it does more harm than good.

Yep.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 07:13:17 PM »

I just really, really love that Jarkansas' first defense is to accuse everyone else of childishness and defensiveness.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »

I feel like the Bernie wing of the Democratic party has been fighting tooth and nail every step of the way just to have a voice at the table. It's as if the "old guard" of the DNC is resisting us every step of the way, while at the same time screaming in our faces to "suck it up and stay in line!" Why does the establishment need a symbolic victory?

That's how it goes. They aren't just going to hand over control without a fight. They would rather ride the party into the ground then just step aside, especially considering that some of them believe the progressive wing will drag the party too far to the left and make it unappealing in more moderate/conservative areas we need to do better in. Admittedly, I can't say I blame them - the number of purists who think liberals can win everywhere is either growing in the party and/or becoming much louder.

Point is, if the bernie wing wants to take over, it is going to have to fight for it.

Well sure. I don't think anyone's contesting that. But part of fighting is raising a racket every time the establishment refuses to give way.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »

I just really, really love that Jarkansas' first defense is to accuse everyone else of childishness and defensiveness.
When a person says they won't vote or be a democrat because they lost they are a child.  And spell my name right when you try and drag me.  

Jarkansas sounds better - you should consider changing it.

And as long as we're talking, let's be honest; it's not JUST your accusation for people who want to drop out of the Dem party because the establishment is oppressive.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »

Oh for Christ sake it's the chair Trumpbis freaking attacking our freedom of the press am covering up possible illegal Russian ties. There are big things going on

And we're never gonna get him out without a competent and ideologically correct Democratic party.

Unless you want us to spend our time writing thinkpieces wagging our fingers at Jason Chaffetz for not investigating Trump properly? I'm sure that will do *lots * of good.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »

It's okay. I'm also quite angry that Democrats (Lefties period) can't get along. It definitely is like the 2016 Primary all over again.

To clarify, I didn't mean all Progressives. Just a minority that cause tension within the party.

If this is the Democratic primary again, maybe we should make the right choice this time?

I agree I'm frustrated with both sides, Perez isn't bad/worth abandoning the Dems over but at the same time the establishment wing should of rallied behind Ellison and never bring Perez up

He might not be worth abandoning the party over, but he *is * worth getting very mad over, and his election would significantly discourage me re: the future viability of the party.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »

This is totally ridiculous. Both of the Establishment wing and the Progressive wing need to realize that calling each other out will not form unity. It prolongs the chaos. We're already a "minority party" nationally and in most states.

Perez winning will definitely not be the end of the world. If you are a Sanders Loyalist, don't let it get to you and not participate in anything of Democrats. Sanders Loyalists are already attempting to take over parties in some places w/o the help of anyone.

The Establishment Wing needs to give space for Progressive Wingers a voice within the party. Admit it. We need something fresh in many states in which the GOP has taken advantage. We need to join forces, grow up, and win elections again.

*Also, the DNC race isn't the most important race right now. It's the federal and statewide races for the next couple of years to worry about.

The DNC rigged the primary and then tried to start a new cold war with Russia to distract people when they got busted. The idea that progressives and the 3rd way establishment are somehow on the same team is ridiculous.

I never said that progressives and the establishment were the same team. Stop putting words in my mouth and actually read. I stated that the Establishment should give Progressives a voice. I don't think they should rig either for anyone.

But "Progressives" like you aren't much better when you refuse cooperate. That's one of the reasons why Democrats have been losing elections.

You're delusional if you think "progressives refusing to cooperate" is why Democrats have been losing elections. It is incumbent upon the DNC to put up candidates who can win. And it's the DNC's sense of entitlement to our votes that has lost them elections.

Why can't you discuss your differences without calling me "delusional?"
At this point it seems like a lost cause with them. Let them bitch and moan. Seems all they can do.

I very likely did a heck of a lot more to elect Democrats than you did this cycle. So let's relax with the evidence-free accusations, hmm?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »

This is totally ridiculous. Both of the Establishment wing and the Progressive wing need to realize that calling each other out will not form unity. It prolongs the chaos. We're already a "minority party" nationally and in most states.

Perez winning will definitely not be the end of the world. If you are a Sanders Loyalist, don't let it get to you and not participate in anything of Democrats. Sanders Loyalists are already attempting to take over parties in some places w/o the help of anyone.

The Establishment Wing needs to give space for Progressive Wingers a voice within the party. Admit it. We need something fresh in many states in which the GOP has taken advantage. We need to join forces, grow up, and win elections again.

*Also, the DNC race isn't the most important race right now. It's the federal and statewide races for the next couple of years to worry about.

The DNC rigged the primary and then tried to start a new cold war with Russia to distract people when they got busted. The idea that progressives and the 3rd way establishment are somehow on the same team is ridiculous.

I never said that progressives and the establishment were the same team. Stop putting words in my mouth and actually read. I stated that the Establishment should give Progressives a voice. I don't think they should rig either for anyone.

But "Progressives" like you aren't much better when you refuse cooperate. That's one of the reasons why Democrats have been losing elections.

You're delusional if you think "progressives refusing to cooperate" is why Democrats have been losing elections. It is incumbent upon the DNC to put up candidates who can win. And it's the DNC's sense of entitlement to our votes that has lost them elections.

Why can't you discuss your differences without calling me "delusional?"
At this point it seems like a lost cause with them. Let them bitch and moan. Seems all they can do.

I very likely did a heck of a lot more to elect Democrats than you did this cycle. So let's relax with the evidence-free accusations, hmm?
What did I say earlier in the thread. If it isn't about you don't make it about you.

It is about me. I'm a Bernie hack, as much as Confused Dem (okay not quite as much as Jfern, but whatever), as much as pretty much anyone on the board. If your complaints about us don't apply to one of us, that's because your complaint is inaccurate, not because you get to pick and choose among the "impudent children" in the party.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »

No I talk about the children who will bitch and whine and quit the party because they don't get what they want. Not you, and not all Bernie supporters. So please stop making every damn criticism about you and Bernie people. It's not

I'm bitchin'. I'm whinin'. If there were any, any, ANY option otherwise I would have changed my registration to Independent on November 10th. If Perez wins tomorrow, my gf is likely actually going to change her registration.

It's about me. Or people close enough to my views to essentially make it about me. And we're not children. You centrists are.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »

What time does the voting begin tomorrow?

10:00am eastern, according to a friend there.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 10:55:10 PM »

Prediction: Buttigieg wins after multiple shifts and balloting

That's certainly what 😍 Flawless Mayor For Life Pete 😍 thinks
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 11:31:28 PM »

The article Confused Dem posted contained this list of DNC members.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 11:33:12 PM »

Current map of support:

Perez - Full delegations of IA, MS, KY; VI, PR
Ellison - Full delegations of MN, SD, NE, VT, RI; Majority delegations of TX, CA

It's probably going to end-up looking closely like the primary map

Big deviations already in the form of CA and TX
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 11:37:49 PM »

I very likely did a heck of a lot more to elect Democrats than you did this cycle.

Why didn't you guys do more to elect Colin Van Ostern and stop Sununu? He had no business winning that race. Is it because Van Ostern's not a White woman?

Well I didn't because I'm currently in college in IL.

Also. ~~~~~NH is a Swing State~~~~~
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 12:23:09 AM »

Why are progressives worried about this so much? Party Chair is basically meaningless unless they're completely incompetent.

1) Bernie Sanders has invested a lot of political capital in the race
2) It would be a sign of accommodation from the establishment and a good-will gesture towards working together to defeat Trump
3) Chair is actually pretty important, and the funding decisions that are going to need to be made in the next two years are going to be important.  
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 01:57:49 AM »

This Ellison vs Perez war is insane.

If the establishment had put up Buttigieg, it would be just as bad.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 02:16:08 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 02:18:25 AM by Chickenhawk »

This is totally unconfirmed and uncomfirmable, but I hear from a friend that there's a rumor going around Atlanta that Perez has been inflating his whip count.

But like, take that with more grains of salt than you normally would from a biased stranger on the internet with no links to back him up.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »

^ This is by secret ballot. People can tell you they're voting for you, but there's always the possibility they'll backstab you at the actual moment they have to cast their vote. I wouldn't put any real stock in "whip counts".

My preference is Buttigieg, but honestly, #ANYONEBUTELLISON

1) yes I know it's secret ballot
2) yeah, but it would look so bad in there if he goes in and only draws 170 votes instead of the 180 he swore he had. Like, the consequences of that would likely doom him. You only release whip counts in this scenario if you're super sure of every single one. So... *if* this rumor is true I just don't understand the logic.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2017, 10:47:53 PM »

Ugh.

It's been a really long day.

It's gonna be an even longer 10 years of purging these bozos from the party.

I'm tired.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 12:15:19 AM »

Still can't believe how our True Leftist (is that better?) friends are hyperventilating over this.

I'm not surprised; you seem to think that everything is fine.

Everything. Is. Not. Fine.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2017, 12:48:43 AM »

Still can't believe how our True Leftist (is that better?) friends are hyperventilating over this.

I'm not surprised; you seem to think that everything is fine.

Everything. Is. Not. Fine.

And guess how you fix that? Hint: not by obsessing over a mostly ceremonial post.

See my post in the other thread.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »

No, she talked about how Dangerous Donald was mean, she works hard, and how it's her turn.

contrary to public myth, she has talked a whole lot about jobs and specific plans to bring jobs to communities.

As long as we're re-litigating the primary (which is dumb and stupid and not what this is about); NO!

Here are the 10 most aired ads

Of the 6 run by Clinton
1) Trump mocked disabled people
2) Trump isn't reliable with Nukes
3) HRC cares about our kids in unspecific ways
4) Trump is so bad Republicans should vote for Hillary
5) HRC loves our kids so they should have jobs and go to school
6) Trump shouldn't be president because he's sexist.

NONE of those are running on the platform she agreed to. NONE of them involve specific policies. Only two of them are positive at all. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies