Raise the retirement age (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Raise the retirement age (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raise the retirement age  (Read 4306 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: May 23, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »

It should absolutely be raised ... to suggest otherwise is crazy to me.  It was set at a time when we could, ya know, actually afford to pay for the retirement of people over 65, because there weren't many!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:11:48 PM »

It should absolutely be raised ... to suggest otherwise is crazy to me.  It was set at a time when we could, ya know, actually afford to pay for the retirement of people over 65, because there weren't many!

It was also set at a time when per capita income was about a tenth of what it is today.

But we use that exact same argument for why the minimum wage should be indexed to inflation.  Do all the math, and figure out what makes sense.  If the degree to which income is "too low" is equal to or greater than the degree to which the retirement age is "too low," I really don't care how we try to make it work.  But the age we set in the 1930s doesn't make sense for today, plain and simple.  That's not a partisan opinion.

You do bring up a good point with your second post, but I'm not sure how many 64-year olds are attractive to hire, either ... that's just kind of a problem you'll have with any arbitrary cutoff.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies