Turkish Presidential Election: August 10, 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:41:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkish Presidential Election: August 10, 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turkish Presidential Election: August 10, 2014  (Read 13517 times)
swl
France

« on: August 13, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
« edited: August 13, 2014, 03:43:15 PM by swl »

Erdogan is probably not a really good person, but many people are exaggerating his negative impact on Turkey (mainly because we are focusing on things that do not matter much for a majority of Turks).
swl
France

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2014, 04:18:12 PM by swl »

Well, whatever is one's opinion on this issue, I don't think it should change because or thanks to Erdogan. Turkey has never been a democracy comparable to Western European or American democracies; it's also true that Erdogan became more authoritarian lately which is never a good thing, but we can't draw conclusions from that.

Let me paste a post from an Erdogan supporter:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maybe there are some exaggerations, but I am curious to know the answer of Erdogan's opponents.
swl
France

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »

Is there any word on who will replace Erdogan as PM?

It's coming from this blog that I have been reading for some time when I am looking for information about Turkey : http://www.jamesinturkey.com/what-is-next/
swl
France

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2014, 07:35:15 AM by swl »

I lurked in that blog of James in Turkey the other day. I feel somewhat disappointed because little has been said on my favourite candidate (Demirtas). The Kurdish opposition is clearly better than AKP and the Kemalists.
I don't know much about Turkish politics, but it seems to me that a CHP-HDP alliance would make sense in the future.
swl
France

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:44:39 AM »

I lurked in that blog of James in Turkey the other day. I feel somewhat disappointed because little has been said on my favourite candidate (Demirtas). The Kurdish opposition is clearly better than AKP and the Kemalists.
I don't know much about Turkish politics, but it seems to me that a CHP-HDP would make sense in the future.

The CHP, being Kemalist, opposes federalization or special autonomous status for any region. That's what prevents an alliance with the Kurds.
I see. I wonder about the young liberals who demonstrated against Erdogan. Despite being Kurd, Demirtas must have some potential among this population right?
swl
France

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2014, 03:29:23 PM by swl »

Vote shifts between the March local elections and the August presidential election. 28% of MHP voters shifted to Erdogan.
Nice graph.

If the MHP happens to disappear soon as the article suggests I guess it would be a great news for everyone.
swl
France

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:07:57 AM »

If you want some opinion on Davutoglu:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/09/ascent-turkey-ahmet-davutoglu-201491134555729882.html
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies