Happy 420!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:18:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Happy 420!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Happy 420!  (Read 6655 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2008, 12:31:15 PM »

Yeah, because we torture drug users to death in the U.S. all the time.  Roll Eyes

I'm simply suggesting that the law is not always right.  I can give you examples of unfair laws "in the U.S." if you really want, but then you'd be missing the point (although probably intentionally).

Now stop being silly and explain why marijuana should be illegal, instead of repeating that it is illegal.

I'm not missing your point.  It's just a stupid argument.  Besides, why should I have to explain why something should be illegal?  I'm not defending it.  I'm merely stating that if someone willfully breaks the law, they should accept the punishment for it.  Why you are avoiding that fact is beyond me.  And yes, we have a ton of silly laws on the books that should be revoked, yet while they stand, so do the punishment.  Even I can give you examples if you want.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »

It seems silly to me to get pissed off and act vindictive over this and hope for their arrest. (Very few people, if any got arrested though naturally) Like I said, I don't smoke so I really don't have the heart to heavily defend my stance but it's of no concern to me what they do on 4/20. On a related note, one of my classes was canceled today. The professor said he was "sick". Probably still baked from yesterday.

I wasn't the one calling for them to be arrested.  I said punished.  I was merely responding to your comment about Driedapples comment being "silly."  If you break the law, you get punished.  Not a hard concept to grasp.

I wasn't talking about what you said, I was talking about Driedapples. Driedapples comment was "silly" at best because he was the one calling for them to be arrested and acting vindictive. So yes, it was silly for him to say that.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »

No, it's not a "fact" that people should be punished for breaking stupid laws.

Gay people who live in states where anti-sodomy laws haven't been repealed shouldn't be punished, for example, nor would I expect someone who uses marijuana in the privacy of their own home to be punished when getting drunk is legal.

Victims of unfair punishment should not just "accept" it.  The law should be openly ignored until lawmakers find the common sense to change it.

"The law should  be openly ignored until the lawmakers find the common sense to change it."

*dies laughin* 

Then work towards changing the laws, not violating them since you think they are stupid.  Violating them and not expecting to suffer the consequences is stupid (and lacks the common sense you reference).  Really.  Even an elementary kid can figure that out.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »

This p*sses me off.  I hope all of those people get arrested.

What a silly thing to say. I don't smoke but I don't care if other people want to. It's their business. And my school was pretty big on this event today. There was a big smoke cloud over Boulder I'm sure.

He sounds like an old man, doesn't he?

Most immature response but not surprising.

"Oh, you don't support that? Well, you're an OLD PERSON! Eeeeeeew!"

Well, you guys do sound kind of cranky, especially when you repeat the same thing over again and act butt hurt over it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

Well, you guys do sound kind of cranky, especially when you repeat the same thing over again and act butt hurt over it.

We wouldn't repeat it so often if you guys would listen.  Tongue
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »

Gay people who live in states where anti-sodomy laws haven't been repealed shouldn't be punished, for example, nor would I expect someone who uses marijuana in the privacy of their own home to be punished when getting drunk is legal.

Victims of unfair punishment should not just "accept" it.  The law should be openly ignored until lawmakers find the common sense to change it.

First of all, thanks to Lawrence v. Texas your example is out of date.  Secondly, when one breaks the law, one should do so in full knowledge that the law could be used against them.  Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Ghandi were both arrested and convicted for willfully and knowingly violating the law.  That's how civil disobedience works.  You break the law you consider unjust, and get punished for it.  You pay the price for standing up for your beliefs.  The idea that one can violate the law and should get away with it because it is a "stupid law," is not only juvenile, but violates the principle of the rule of law that all successful countries are based on.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2008, 09:40:03 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2008, 09:43:29 PM by Casual Fraction™ »

First of all, thanks to Lawrence v. Texas your example is out of date.  Secondly, when one breaks the law, one should do so in full knowledge that the law could be used against them.  Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Ghandi were both arrested and convicted for willfully and knowingly violating the law.  That's how civil disobedience works.  You break the law you consider unjust, and get punished for it.  You pay the price for standing up for your beliefs.  The idea that one can violate the law and should get away with it because it is a "stupid law," is not only juvenile, but violates the principle of the rule of law that all successful countries are based on.

+1

The drug war is a gigantic waste of time, but if you break the law and get caught then you're screwed.

A word of advice: don't buy in bulk so you get an distribution intent tag if caught and always store items in a combination-locked storage space.  I don't  think search warrants have the authority to require suspects submit lock combinations.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 10:39:03 AM »

This p*sses me off.  I hope all of those people get arrested.

What a silly thing to say. I don't smoke but I don't care if other people want to. It's their business. And my school was pretty big on this event today. There was a big smoke cloud over Boulder I'm sure.

He sounds like an old man, doesn't he?

Most immature response but not surprising.

"Oh, you don't support that? Well, you're an OLD PERSON! Eeeeeeew!"

Let me count the amount of times people like yourself get "cranky" over religion...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies