Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY)  (Read 202292 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« on: April 11, 2017, 07:52:17 PM »

What if Ds end up winning KS-04 and MT-AL but lose GA-06 what message would that send to the DCCC?

Cobb County Republicans are a bunch of pretentious losers. But we knew that already.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:50:18 PM »

Am I missing something or is everyone missing the fact that Sedgewick appears to be largely out and Thompson is romping there? Even given the Democratic League of early voters, I'm not sure why there's so much pessimism among Democrats right now.

Typical teenage angst.

Also, I really think any Democrat not celebrating the fact that a massive swing in a solidly Republcian district happened three months after a Republican president took office needs to pull their head out of the clouds.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »

Well thanks Democrats for blowing a shining opportunity.

Lol you gotta be kidding me... this was not a shining opportunity. Let's not act like this is fertile territory for Democrats. The fact that this is even somewhat close is reflective of Trump but mostly Brownback.

It was surprisingly competitive and the DNC pretty much ignored the race. This seat is needed for Democrats.

Why? The Republcians have a forty seat majority in the House so the immediate result of this race would be irrelevant to any parliamentary moves. They also had no need for the seat when they retook the House in 2006.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2017, 09:21:12 PM by Barnes »

This is the closest margin that an election for Congress or for President has been since 1996 in this district. Five months after the Republicans swept the general elections.

How could anyone possibly complain about that? Like seriously, why do you think the road to a majority passes through Wichita?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »

Well, to be fair, if there were a special election in a district like IL-09, and the Democrat only won by 5, I'm pretty sure Republicans would consider that a symbolic victory.

As they very well should. It would be a clear sign that some serious sh**t was going on.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »

Thompson just announced he's running for KS-4 in 2018. Lol.

Whitby-Oshawa by-election, 2014

I knew this race reminded me of another by-election...

Liberal candidate gets an enormous swing in a solidly Conservative riding but loses by nine points and then goes on to win the (redistributed) riding a year later.

Of course the difference is that the Grits understood that this was a fantastic result for them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies