Can someone at least back me up that Kingpoleon is the worst? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:54:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Can someone at least back me up that Kingpoleon is the worst? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can someone at least back me up that Kingpoleon is the worst?  (Read 1658 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: August 16, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »

His analysis won't get him hired by Nate Silver, but I can think of several posters more annoying. If he, or anyone else, gets stuff wrong: teach them, don't bash them. If you're as smart as you seem to think you are, then you'll turn a subjectively annoying poster into a good one, instead of chasing someone away.

Famous Mortimer, you seem to represent some of the worst of the internet: snobbery and putting down rape victims as fakers. The snobbery part is prevalent too often, and it's not noticed as much as it should be. I'm talking about calling people "the worst" instead of trying to help them, or even ignoring them. Where you feel that you're so important and the other person (Kingpoleon, in this case) is so bad that everyone needs to hear your opinion of how bad this person is. The putting down of rape victims is simply awful. Cut that out, please. I guess the silver lining is that, to be careful, you're really sure about asking for consent--but the motives are all wrong. Assuming that a person, when they talk about a terrible thing that happened to them, is lying just to get attention is, well, a very idiotic position to take.

Now, that's as far as you should go with the critique. I didn't make sweeping accusations about you (I said you seem to represent the internet's worst)--why? Because you're a person, and I don't know you. All that I did was tell you what you're doing wrong and why it's wrong--and now I'm telling you how, in my opinion, to get better. All you're doing is attacking the who of Kingpoleon--which is a line you shouldn't cross on the internet.

Let's keep it civil, everyone. Critique with the intent of making someone a better poster, yes, but never insult with no apparent intent except making someone feel bad.

I guess you didn't ask for my advice, but I gave it. Take it with a grain of salt if you like. But cut out the rape defence, please.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »

Constructive criticism? Refraining from mockery? A welcoming environment? You really are new!

I guess so, but it's more a matter of me being a naive idealist than being new. I'll probably still aim for a utopia of civil discourse even after 10 years on the forum, even though I know it will never happen.

You can have problems with people, but posting a thread that does literally nothing to help anyone is stupid.

Considering that Nate Silver hired Harry Enten, I wouldn't consider his staff the paragon of the sharpest political analysts.

First thing that came into my head. I was agreeing that some of Kingpoleon's analysis is a bit shaky, but it doesn't make him annoying. I think that if he continues posting and following politics he'll get a lot better. He certainly has an interest, which is step 1, and this website (and even the forum) can help him progress in his posting quality--but not if he's chased off.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies