Democratic-Republican Party Convention, August 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:39:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Democratic-Republican Party Convention, August 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic-Republican Party Convention, August 2014  (Read 3076 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« on: August 02, 2014, 12:29:48 AM »

XDallasfan65
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »

Seconding both nominations
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »

Since the At-Large election is coming up, now might be a good time to let people audition for an endorsement. Tongue
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »

Aren't we jumping the gun a bit Huh

It might be a good idea to give candidates a few days to make a sales pitch, since I don't think the election is at least for a week.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Platforms generally don't mean much but I thought it might be worthwhile adding something to this affect. I wanted to include a pro-choice plank but I'm not sure that'd pass muster with all of our members.

Feedback?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »

I don't support basic income in general, but I think eliminating other welfare programs in exchange for it is alright, and the rest of these ideas are good.

IMO it's an attractive alternative that could cut down on administrative costs. It has some popularity in libertarian circles (or at least more than one might expect.)

citation

One of the objections that I've seen raised against it was that eliminating Social Security and other welfare programs is a politically untenable position, and that a Minimum Income would be little more than another hand-out. However, Atlasia doesn't quite operate like the real world so that'd be an apples-and-oranges comparison.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »

Basic income I'm fine with.   I don't quite understand drone enthusiasm. 

For marriage, I would go in a different direction, namely supporting recognition of marriages however people choose to form them. I definitely don't think state recognition of marriages is a bad thing even from a libertarian perspective as it is a protection of the relationship and property involved in a marriage from being interfered with by the government.

My reasoning behind a plank for drone legalization is due to the increased proliferation of commercial drones, as I wrote awhile back:

I absolutely oppose this. It's a slippery slope with these things and the last thing we need is to put them in private hands.

I don't see what the problem is with legalizing them for some commercial usage. What do you think the consequences would be?

Most people roll their eyes when libertarians talk about drones, but hear me out for a second.

The general impression of drones is that they're "death from the sky." However, the reality is that the technology concerning drones is changing. For instance, Facebook is using drones to try and expand Internet access to millions of people in poor countries.

Out ice fishing, and you need a beer? Now you can have one!

These aren't the only reasons why I think private drone usage ought to be legalized. Drones could also be helpful in finding missing persons.

Quote from: Restricted

Naturally, I don't find the outcome desirable in this specific instance, but it shows the potential to be a lifesaver in other circumstances.

The chief problem being is that these enterprises have been truncated by FAA regulations. My take is that this could promote a better business climate in Atlasia, and we ought to advocate for that as a party.

'Drones' is a scary word for those of us who are strong proponents of civil liberties (as am I), but it doesn't have to be.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »

[X] Deus
[X] Polnut
[X] Mechaman

I'd like to put in a small plug for Polnut - he's pretty centrist when it comes to economics and has explicitly opposed a ground force commitment to Iraq, and I think there's something to be said for that.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:00:52 PM »

For marriage, I would go in a different direction, namely supporting recognition of marriages however people choose to form them. I definitely don't think state recognition of marriages is a bad thing even from a libertarian perspective as it is a protection of the relationship and property involved in a marriage from being interfered with by the government.

Sorry I didn't get back to this earlier. I'm not too particular about the language as long as we expand equal recognition as much as possible. Do you (or anybody else for that matter) have any revisions to that effect?

Also, does anybody else have feedback on the other platform amendments?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »

In addition to my previous amendments I'd like to propose one more:

anybody alive in this biatch
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies