Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:25:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney  (Read 2454 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: March 26, 2016, 12:56:16 PM »

I mean why would Sanders raise money for downballot Dems? They haven't even endorsed him (and the handful that have done seem to be getting the Bernie bro cash bomb).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:16:21 PM »

Anyway, this is what oligarchy, at least in terms of how Sanders defines it, is all about. The wealthy "buy" these elections (in donating large sums of money to the candidates most willing to serve their interests) and drown out the voices of the bulk of the country and what their life needs are. It's not necessarily "favors", but they are certainly not donating just because they enjoy throwing money around. From political donations to fundraising charity, those benevolent philanthropists will most definitely get something back for their money: even wealthy actors. Choosing to believe anything else is absurd.

In my opinion, as long as we expect elected officials to play by the rules set by Citizens United, there will never be any real campaign finance reform.

1. But what do you think they get? I don't care if Hillary says she'll show up at one of their events or give a speech or whatever. I think it would equally as absurd to think all these people are getting favors, let alone major favors that actually impact policy. Not all favors are bad, or even worth getting flustered over.

Look at it this way - If Hillary already supports major environmental regulations and a specific set of actors have been seeking those regulations as a personal goal for years, then donating to her is the same as furthering their own goals. They don't need a personal favor really, just that she stick to the agenda she already laid out. A lot of rich people involve themselves in such political agendas.

2. I agree with you on CU and public funding of campaigns for sure. I hate the system we have now, but I do understand that Democrats have to work within that sleazy system to enact change (and they have tried to reform campaign finance rules).

Public funding doesn't really work if Citizens United still stands. If independent groups can still raise/spend unlimited money in elections, then they will continue to outspend the actual campaigns. Simply put - CU has to go for there to be meaningful reform.

I mean why would Sanders raise money for downballot Dems? They haven't even endorsed him (and the handful that have done seem to be getting the Bernie bro cash bomb).

Assuming he actually cares about getting any of his agenda passed, he needs many more liberal Democrats in Congress. If he doesn't help get them elected, then he won't get much done and will once again create an army of disillusioned Millennials who thought the president could wave a magic wand and make all their policy dreams come true.

That's the thing though: he's not and never has been a candidate looking to be elected. He's a movement candidate, and is fulfilling his use in the wider scheme of things.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies