Who is the most socially conservative Democrat on the forum? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:07:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who is the most socially conservative Democrat on the forum? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who is the most socially conservative Democrat on the forum?  (Read 1444 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »

Debating between Mung Beans and Miles.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »

Surprised to see Cory's name hasn't been mentioned yet...
Why would it be?

I think you could argue that his views on eugenics/AIDS go beyond conservative.

His AIDS statement does have a resemblance to some extreme early 90s right-wing rhetoric, but that's just one issue.  I didn't see anything conservative about his eugenic views. Far from it - it's a belief in improving human nature. 

Eugenics, however, was an at least semi-popular view in the early 20th century and contains elements of Hitler-esque thought.  I don't think you can say that such a view is progressive, especially since it's rooted at least partially in hate.

And you being a progressive, progressivism must be good, and thus could in no way contain hate.

Now you're getting it!

But in all seriousness, racism and hate are generally not considered progressive views by any means, even if we don't consider them conservative or center-right ones.  Keep in mind that even progressivism of today is considered far different than the progressivism of, say, Woodrow Wilson's time.  Was Hitler's support for eugenics considered part of a larger ideology?  Yes, and that needs to be considered when judging if a particular view is more to the left or more to the right.  I think you can argue that Cory's views are part of an ideology that's certainly not compatible with modern progressivism, and that those views far outweigh any support he might have for say, gay marriage and abortion rights.

Scott, you're falling into the circular logic trap of redefining terms so they mean the same thing. Progressivism absolutely can contain bigotry and hate. "Fundies" isn't a term of endearment eh?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies