Statehood for DC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:13:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Statehood for DC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Statehood for DC  (Read 3515 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 12, 2004, 02:55:50 PM »

Make it its own state!  We could use two more libs in the senate.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 03:30:31 PM »

If DC residents want "representation," they can move to Maryland or Virginia.  People knew of the special status the District has, and if that is their only complaint, there is nothing (except excuses) holding them back from moving elsewhere.

Do you know exactly how poor the average DCer is?  That no doubt is holding them back.  It's not exactly their choice to live in DC; I'm sure very few would live there by choice.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 04:40:17 PM »

If DC residents want "representation," they can move to Maryland or Virginia.  People knew of the special status the District has, and if that is their only complaint, there is nothing (except excuses) holding them back from moving elsewhere.

Do you know exactly how poor the average DCer is?  That no doubt is holding them back.  It's not exactly their choice to live in DC; I'm sure very few would live there by choice.

That is an excuse (note my prior message).  Nothing stopped people I've known who were truly poor from moving to find jobs and/or improve their position in life.  People that are in DC are there by choice.  No one is holding a gun to their head forcing them to stay where they are.

It simply isn't economically feasible for a majority of them to pick up and move.  Remember what we're dealing with here: DC.  It's 90% black, the mayor does crack, he gets busted, and wins a council seat a decade later.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 05:11:26 PM »

Merely a guess on my part, my mistake.  But I'm sure alot of the whites in DC are quite black also; this seems to happen in majority-minority cities.  See: Detroit.  Eminem is as black as they come, despite his white skin.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies