Biden administration considers bringing refugees from Gaza.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:02:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden administration considers bringing refugees from Gaza.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden administration considers bringing refugees from Gaza.  (Read 1075 times)
wnwnwn
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2024, 08:18:10 PM »

What angers me the most is that this war could end tomorrow if the hostages were released. But Hamas "can't find them" and they won't live up to their side of the deal. All the continued fighting is doing is feeding into Hamas's & our adversaries narrative that Israel is prolonging the war as it's convenient to blame Israel within the CRT-minded narrative.

Hamas wants the donations....
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2024, 08:26:08 PM »

This is like allowing German Protestants to immigrate here from 1939-1945 . This is objectively insane
What would be wrong with granting asylum to Dietrich Bonhoeffer?

Dietrich Bonhoffer was a documented dissident.  Now if there were such a thing as an anti-Hamas, anti-Intifada refugees from Gaza, that would be something else.  Show me actual Gaza residents who oppose Hamas and support Israel's right to exist.

IDK, I'd imagine quite a large % of people in Gaza fall into the 1st camp but are pretty damn powerless about it. Mostly women and religious minorities. The 2nd admittedly might be harder, but that's in part because there's probably people that they know who have died in the current conflict who they blame Israel for the death of. But there's millions of people in Gaza. Statistically it'd be pretty difficult to believe that no one falls into both of those criteria.

dead0man probably is the closest to the right idea here, though I'd say that single men shouldn't be blocked wholesale but subject to a more rigorous screening process.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2024, 09:18:15 PM »

What angers me the most is that this war could end tomorrow if the hostages were released.
Nope. The war would continue even if all hostages were released. Netanyahu doesn't care about the hostages, he wants to prolong the war as long as possible.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2024, 09:24:25 PM »

So the hostages would have likely died from potential wounds/malnourishment, not from executions, right?! If the latter is the case, then we should probably not negotiate a ceasefire.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2024, 10:01:50 PM »

What angers me the most is that this war could end tomorrow if the hostages were released.
Nope. The war would continue even if all hostages were released. Netanyahu doesn't care about the hostages, he wants to prolong the war as long as possible.
it seems like Hamas feels similarly.

Can we just put Hamas leadership and some of the Israeli war cabinet in an arena with some swords and let them deal with it without random civilians getting killed?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2024, 10:02:49 PM »

women, children and Alphabet people only.  Maybe single fathers, maybe.  Certainly no unattached 16-40 year old cis males.

You do realize gay men are just as violent as straight men, right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2024, 10:05:15 PM »

I have mixed feelings about this. We certainly owe them a better life, as we have been funding their destruction for decades, but it feels like this is in preparation for some new condos in "Eretz Yisrael."

Gaza would still be plenty crowded even with a 25% population decrease.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 11:05:03 PM »

Send em to Madison, Ann Arbor and Philly. Minneapolis for good measure.

I love how the GOP demonize people at the lowest point in their life for political gain

To be fair, Republicans would demonize anyone different from themselves even if there weren't any political gain in it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2024, 11:06:47 PM »

women, children and Alphabet people only.  Maybe single fathers, maybe.  Certainly no unattached 16-40 year old cis males.

You do realize gay men are just as violent as straight men, right?
maybe, but out homosexual men rarely blow up a synagogue and they aren't domestic violencing women very often either.  If gay dudes are as violent as non-gay dudes, I'd imagine most of their violence is aimed at other gay dudes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 11:10:10 PM »

I have mixed feelings about this. We certainly owe them a better life, as we have been funding their destruction for decades, but it feels like this is in preparation for some new condos in "Eretz Yisrael."

Gaza would still be plenty crowded even with a 25% population decrease.
in 2014 they had 25% fewer people than now, people are free to draw whatever conclusions fit their biases from that fact
AtorBoltox

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2024, 11:21:17 PM »

Is he trying to lose
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2024, 03:03:56 PM »

The concept of bringing in refugees from a war waged by an ally that the US has been and will continue to support is objectively insane. Additionally, while the vast majority of these refugees will clearly not be Hamas members or looking to commit terrorism, the fact is that it will take exactly one to poison US refugee policy for a generation. There have to be some pro-Palestinian countries that would make more sense as a place for refugees to settle.

You'd think other countries in the Arab world would step up.

Honestly I don’t blame them for not wanting Palestinian refugees.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2024, 03:56:40 PM »

I wonder if any of these refugees would hold generally anti-Jewish feelings, feeding the flames of ethnic strife that our country has been struggling with lately. Hopefully not.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2024, 01:04:37 AM »

Have to bump this story now that I've been reliably informed that taking in Palestinian refugees is actually 'helping Israel's ethnic cleansing.' Utterly disgusting from the administration here, hopefully Biden is in the dock at the Hague soon
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2024, 07:45:55 PM »

The extent to which blue avatars don't consider Palestinians to be human beings is absolutely horrific.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2024, 11:24:58 AM »

This is actually part of the reason why some right-wingers in Europe are also pro-Palestine. They're afraid of the refugees entering Europe when all is said and is done and when there is no place in the state of Israel anymore (criticizng Egypt and Saudi Arabia for not allowing Palestinian refugees to settle in those). The "go back to your own country" isn't as effective if they don't have a country anymore. (However i'm also of the belief that some actual neonazi's also hide behind this view).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2024, 08:00:59 AM »

If someone is truly running for their life, we should do what we can to help them.  It shouldn't matter where they are running from.  However, there needs to be an organized vetting process where they aren't just at large in the US until their story has been verified and national security agencies are confident they are not a threat.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2024, 10:02:29 AM »

This is like allowing German Protestants to immigrate here from 1939-1945 . This is objectively insane

Thank you for proving the point of this policy with an objectively stupid post. There were many anti-hitler anti-nazi Protestant Germans who fled the country to escape, genius.

Once again, raw ignorance is the currency of trade for GOP foreign policy.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2024, 10:21:50 AM »

You know, European far-right leaders DO have a point on how liberals choose to contribute to the destruction of third world countries and then “welcome” tons of immigrants that escape that destruction while acting that’s charitable or something when these people would rather live in their home countries if it was possible.

Even if they say this for the wrong reasons - fear of their European nations becoming less white - they are not really wrong on the matter itself. Instead of “absorbing” tons of Palestinians and stripping them away from their land and culture so that Israel can have a free path to advance and occupy all of Palestine, maybe, just mayyyyyyybe, liberals should focus on making sure Palestine exists.

Liberals racism is more disgusting than Conservatives one because it’s extremely disingenuous and they are shameless and evil enough to act like that welcoming waves of immigrants from countries they are helping destroy is somehow “anti-racism” or something when it’s the full opposite.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2024, 10:38:19 AM »

We owe the Palestinians nothing.

You should take that hymn out of your signature.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2024, 10:39:47 AM »

I once again made the mistake of reading a Red Velvet post.

You know, European far-right leaders DO have a point on how liberals choose to contribute to the destruction of third world countries and then “welcome” tons of immigrants that escape that destruction while acting that’s charitable or something when these people would rather live in their home countries if it was possible.

Even if they say this for the wrong reasons - fear of their European nations becoming less white - they are not really wrong on the matter itself. Instead of “absorbing” tons of Palestinians and stripping them away from their land and culture so that Israel can have a free path to advance and occupy all of Palestine, maybe, just mayyyyyyybe, liberals should focus on making sure Palestine exists.

Liberals racism is more disgusting than Conservatives one because it’s extremely disingenuous and they are shameless and evil enough to act like that welcoming waves of immigrants from countries they are helping destroy is somehow “anti-racism” or something when it’s the full opposite.

"Liberals should focus on ensuring the existence of Palestine. Also, liberals are worse on this issue than conservatives." Very incoherent argument!

Also I don't think "anti-racism" is the reason the Biden administration is considering allowing refugees to immigrate here!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies