Interactive Election Game: 2016 (TURN 5) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:23:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Interactive Election Game: 2016 (TURN 5) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Interactive Election Game: 2016 (TURN 5)  (Read 125635 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 01:04:17 AM »

Summary of Sanders' campaign efforts.

Sanders was able to build off a stronger than expected performance in Iowa, welcoming the surprise endorsement of Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards. The Southern Governor has taken over leadership of Sanders' campaign efforts in the south, where they are hopeful that his pro-worker message can win out as the message of the day.

Sanders also blasted Senator Warren's assumption that he couldn't win in November while at  rally in Galveston, Texas, calling it "Intellectually dishonest" and "A sign of resistance to new ideas from both parties." He also implied that Warren seemed to have been accepted by the donor wing of the party, citing endorsements by long entrenched Third Way Democrats such as Harry Reid, while at the same time, touting his support from the party's progressive wing, namely the entire progressive caucus.

In the final days before the New Hampshire primary, Sanders criss crossed the state with John Lynch, the historically popular former governor, as well as Governor Pete Shumlin and Senator Patrick Leahy. During one of these rallies, he attacked Marco Rubio's stab at Hillary Clinton, stating "Most American people are sick and tired of hearing about these damn emails. Let's focus on the actual issues! The only reason Senator Rubio was focusing on this is because he's afraid that his policies of tax cuts for the rich, subsidising the fossil fuel industry, and cutting healthcare to millions of Americans won't be popular. Republicans can't win on policy, so they launch personal attacks. If that's not a statement of worry, then I don't know what is."

Sanders continued however, to largely hold his fire on Senator Warren, this being one of the few times he has called her out. He is sticking to his idea of a positive campaign, only calling out other candidates when they openly lie about his career or personality.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 07:17:07 AM »

Sanders Claims Victory in New Hampshire

You must be logged in to read this quote.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:41 PM »

@SenSanders

Republicans blocking something President Obama is trying to do. What else is new?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »

Sanders summary

Sanders continued to campaign this week, in particular focusing on southern states, where he held several rallies in Georgia and South Carolina, while Bel Edwards rallied support for him in Texas and Louisiana. Sanders also continues to raise small donations, with his campaign raising $36 million last month. It would appear that Green Day's tour in support of him is having an effect.

Meanwhile, Sanders also campaigned in Florida, hosting a major rally in Tampa with 20,000 attendees. Numbers at his rallies have been steadily increasing since the tight finish in Iowa.

On the final day, Sanders took time out to campaign for downballot candidates, notably Russ Feingold, who is seeking to retake his senate seat from Ron Johnson
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »

Another summary. SHould be back to normal soon.

Sanders this week criss-crossed the south with Governor John Bel Edwards to win support in the south, where he expressed admiration for the south's history of economic populism. He paid particular attention to South Carolina, where he hoped for a decent showing, and also made several appearances to rural voters in Georgia, doubling down on his populist reforms for farmers in particular, as well as pursuing the suburban working-class vote and youth vote, were he hopes to run up the margins.

Trumka also hit the trail for Sanders with Senator Baldwin, Congressman Conyers and Former Senator Feingold in tow in the industrial states, hitting Michigan and Ohio in particular, where they held a rally in Detroit . Governor Lynch meanwhile hit the trail for Sanders in more libertarian-leaning states, leading efforts in Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico.

Governors Brown, Inslee and Dayton meanwhile, along with Senator Merkley, opened the Sanders campaign on the west coast, hosting events in Arizona, Washington, Oregon and Alaska, where Sanders again hopes to run up the margins.

Keith Ellison and the Progressive Caucus meanwhile, have been quietly building campaign infrastructure in major primary states: Massachusetts, New York, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and so on. The Caucus has partnered with the AFL-CIO in the industrial states to push the Sanders campaign forward.

Meanwhile, Green Day concluded their tour for Bernie in Los Angeles, California. The tour raised over $150 million for the campaign, earning praise from campaign officials. The band may be preparing a second tour in support of the campaign soon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 12:21:42 AM »

Sanders concession speech

This fight is just getting started! We are not going anywhere; we will fight on, our political revolution will carry on. I am not withdrawing, and none of us are going anywhere.

So while I congratulate Senator Warren on her victory tonight, I suggest she settle in for the long haul, because this will not be ending anytime soon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2017, 04:49:48 AM »

Gov. Shumlin and Sen. Leahy address Rubio's remarks

To have the gall to denounce Senator Sanders in the very town that he served as Mayor is the height of disrespect to a sitting Senator. Furthermore, we find it surprising that the crowd did not denounce these comments, as the people of Vermont not only re-elected Bernie overwhelmingly in 2012, but he also is the most loved Senator in the country, with an 80% approval rating in Vermont, compared to Senator Rubio's approval rating of 45% in Florida.

Again, it is for tnis reason we find it odd the crowd failed to denounce the comments. Especially in a town that has overwhelmingly elected him several times to various offices.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »

Summary

Sanders continued his campaigning in earnest, holding a major rally in Honolulu on the weekend. His campaign has no doubt hit a rough patch, but he is looking to close the gap. His surprise win in Texas has galvanized his supporters, who are pumping millions of dollars into his campaign. Last month, the Sanders campaign raisd $41 million last month, setting a new record.

Moreover, Sanders is beginning to benefit from the backing of labor unions, as the AFL-CIO sends kts formidable political machine into action. Meanwhile, Ben Jealous, MLK III, the NAACP and the SCLC continue to rally aupport from minority groups across the country. Another startling announcement is that 3,000 Sanders supporters have signed up to run for office in everything from School Boards to Congress.

Sanders is determined to be the candidate of the working class, and has been extensively campaigning in the industrial states, particularly Pennsylvania and Ohio as he looks to build his base there.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 10:02:13 PM »

Sanders victory speech

Today, we continue our march forward! Our victories in Kansas and Nebraska show that we will not go quietly! We are proving that you don't need the establishment or big donors to perform well in a campaign. We have an average donation of $27. We have the backing of the people of the working class, workers' unions, young people and more.

I ask you to continue to stand with me, so we can fight for social, economic and political justice all over this country! So we can protect our environment! So we can defend our right to a living wage! So we can help people! This is our time!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »

Where are my endorsements?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 11:29:04 PM »

Sanders victory speech in Portland, Maine

Thank you Maine for such a resounding victory! I thank each and every one of you for the confidence ypu have put in me tonight, and I assure you, your confidence is not misplaced!

The establishment is doing everything possible to block us, but it isn't working! We're proving we have real momentum and we are the campaign that represents the people. We are going to drive this home all the way to the nomination and win the White House in November! Thank you!

*John Lennon's 'Power to the People' plays*
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 07:26:17 PM »

What's this? An actual schedule? Well then . . .

Schedule for Bernie Sanders

March 7
-Fly to Mississippi
-Rally in Jackson, Mississippi
-Barnstorm in Harrison County, Mississippi
-Rally in Hernando, Mississippi
-Fly to Michigan

March 8
-Election day rally with Congressman John Conyers in Detroit, Michigan
-Coordinate GOTV operations in Michigan
-Fly to New York
-Rally in New York City with Mayor De Blasio
-Barnstorm in Kings County, New York

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »

Bill Gates responds to Senator Warren's attacks

Post interview, Sanders vowed to release all his fundraising reports to the public, and Gates vowed the same for his financial transactions. The immediate ones released proved Senator Warren's claims to be unfounded, as Gates has not donated a cent to the Sanders campaign
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »

Sanders campaign summary

Sanders continued to campaign in the newer primary states, notably investing a lot of Illinois and Ohio, as he made ev3ry effort to appear with people like Tim Ryan and John Conyers. He also made several stops in New York, building his support base there, as well as California, where he hopes to capitalise on the state's liberal population.

Meanwhile, in response to Warren's attacks, AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka was finally letmoff the leash, blasting Warren at a rally in Cincinnati, Ohio during the week.

Similar speeches were given by John Conyers and Jerry Brown at various rallies in California. Mayor Bill de Blasio also hammered this point whioe rallying support in New York City for Sanders. Moreover, Bernie finally gave the green light for Jeff Weaver and Tad Devine's attack ads to air. He explained his new strategy in an interview on Ohio local radio.

Such talk alarmed some Sanders supporters, like Shailene Woodley, but she shared similar sentiments in an interview for her upcoming film "Snowden."

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 06:39:57 PM »

Sanders Introduces American Health Security Act

Today, Senator Bernie Sanders  (D-VT)  introduced a companion bill to John Conyers' Medicare for All Act. Called the American Health Security Act, the bill calls for a medicare for all system to be introduced in the United States. The bill has already garnered co-sponsors in Senators Tammy Baldwin and Jeff Merkley, and there are rumors that Senator Elizabeth Warren, Sanders' rival for the Democratic Presidential nomination, will be announcing her support soon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »

Sanders Announces Withdrawal from Primary

Following a campaign that has energised millions of people throughout the country, Bernie Sanders has withdrawn from the race for President, citing concerns that Rubio's victory will result in the most right-wing administration since Ronald Reagan.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 01:07:24 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2017, 04:56:37 PM by GoTfan »

Schedule for Sherrod Brown

June 27
-Attend announcement in Columbus, Ohio

Thank you Elizabeth! I am proud to serve as your running mate this year. I have fought for workers and the people of Ohio my entire life, and I will not give up now. I have been a supporter of the fight for liberal and progressive causes in this country. Whether it's trade, the environment, jobs, or healthcare, I have stood up, nd I am proud to be on the bottom of this ticket with a woman who has fought tirelessly for the exact same causes before she even entered politics, Elizabeth Warren.

June 28
-Rally in Cincinnati, Ohio.
-Rally in Cleveland, Ohio
-Fly to Indiana
-Rally in Indianapolis, Indiana
-Rally in Fort Wayne, Indiana

June 29
-Barnstorm in Boone County, Indiana
-Barnstorm in Elkhart County, Indiana
-Rally in New Albany, Indiana
Let me tell you the truth about Ron Paul, Marco Rubio and Mark Cuban. They want to cut taxes for the rich, outsource your jobs, keep the minimum wage at a low level, let Wall Street run amok and take away your healthcare. Do you want that to happen? I certainly don't, and you can prevent it by voting for Elizabeth Warren in November
-Meet voters in Marion, Indiana
-Town Hall in Noblesville, Indiana

June 30
-Build volunteer operations in Indiana
-Build GOTV operations in Indiana

July 2nd
-Fly to Ohio
-Build volunteer operations in Ohio
-Build GOTV operations in Ohio

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2017, 05:51:22 PM »

Sanders reaponds to Pearcy at rally in Madison, Wisconsin

Yes, Mr Pearcy has had a hard life. But so have many millions of Americans. My father for example, was born in Poland,
Immigrated here in 1921, and saw many of his relatives killed in the Holocaust.  I grew up in a working-class neighborhood and went to a public school. I only got to attend the University of Chicago on a scholarship. I marched with Martin Luther King Jr and was arrested for taking part in civil rights protests. I have known the poor and disadvantaged my entire life.

Yet, it seems Rubio and Pearcy have taken entirely different lessons from their backgrounds. They want to cut taxes for the rich, destroy our healthcare system, dismantile Social Security entirely, deregulate Wall Street even further, and cut your already low wages. Rubio wants to funnel billions into our already bloated military. He disputes the science of climate change, and says we should not address it. He opposes net neutrality; the idea that internet service providers should treat all content equally. He wants to shut down the Department of Education, cap economic regulations and generally be as right wing as possible.

But that's okay, because his father was a bartender.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2017, 05:44:03 PM »

June 27-July 2

June 27
-Fly to Ohio
-Barnstorm in Cuyahoga County, Ohio
-Barnstorm in Lake County, Ohio
-Rally in Toledo, Ohio
-Rally in Youngstown, Ohio

June 28
-Rally in Dayton, Ohio
-Rally in Cleveland, Ohio
-Fly to Pennsylvania
-Rally in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
-Rally in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

June 29
-Barnstorm in  Berks County, Pennsylvania
-Barnstorm in Cambria County, Pennsylvania
-Town Hall in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
-Rally in West Chester, Pennsylvania
-Fly to Michigan

June 30
-Barnstorm in Allegan County, Michigan
-Barnstorm in Berrien County, Michigan
-Rally in Detroit, Michigan
-Rally in Charlotte, Michigan
-Barnstorm in Emmett County, Michigan

July 1
-Rally in Flint, Michigan
-Town Hall in Traverse City, Michigan
-Fly to Iowa
-Rally in Des Moines, Iowa
-Rally in Waterloo, Iowa
-Rally in Boone, Iowa

July 2
-Barnstorm in Mason City, Iowa
-Barnstorm in Dallas County, Iowa
-Rally in Iowa City, Iowa
-Barnstorm in Pottawattamie County, Iowa
-Rally in Nevada, Iowa
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »

July 3
-Barnstorm in Linn County, Iowa
-Barnstorm in Scott County, Iowa
-Rally in Greenfield, Iowa
-Town Hall in Waukon, Iowa
-Fly to Ohio

July 4
-Fourth of July barbecue in hometown of Mansfield, Ohio

July 5
-Rally in Mansfield, Ohio

I have stood for workers my entire life, and Rubio's disastrous trade policies will sell our workers downriver so his buddies on Wall Street can net more profits. Newflash: Free trade sells out workers.  All he wants to do is make sure his rich donors can make some more money. He doesn't care about workers. He never has. He voted to fast track the TPP and wants to reduce the power of our labor unions. He wants to to reduce the rights of our workers. Elizabeth Warren will fight for your rights as workers.
-Barnstorm in Butler County , Ohio
-Barnstorm in Clermomt County, Ohio
-Town Hall in Lisbon , Ohio
-Rally in Cleveland,  Ohio

July 6
-Rally in Columbus, Ohio
-Rally in  Lancaster,  Ohio
-Town Hall in Delaware, Ohio
-Barnstorm in Greene County, Ohio
-Barnstorm in Licking County, Ohio

July 7
-Rally in Cincinnati, Ohio
-Rally in Elyria, Ohio
-Barnstorm in Mahoning County, Ohio
-Barnstorm in Montgomery County, Ohio
-Fly to Michigan

July 8
-Rally in Detroit, Michigan
-Barnstorm in Bay County
-Rally in Flint, Michigan
-Town Hall in Marshall, Michigan
-Barnstorm in Eaton County, Michigan

July 9
-Barnstorm in Ingham County, Michigan
-Barnstorm in Isabella County, Michigan
-Rally in Kalamazoo, Michigan
-Rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan
-Town Hall in Lapeer, Michigan

July 10
-Rest

July 11
-Rest

July 12
-Rally in Adrian, Michigan
-Barnstorm in Livington County, Michigan
-Barnstorm in Macomb County, Michigan
-Fly to Wisconsin
-Rally in Green Bay, Wisconsin

July 13
-Barnstorm in Chippewa County, Wisconsin
-Barnstorm in  Dane County, Wisconsin
-Rally in Eau Claire , Wisconsin
-Rally in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
-Town Hall in Kenosha, Wisconsin
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »

Sanders initiates filibuster of Counterterrorist Coalition Act

This bill will only increase our violation of the Fourth Amendment, increase our pointless wars in the Middle East and continue to violate other countries, give huge tax breaks to the military-industrial complex and push us closer to the brink of another World War.

Therefore, Senators Merkley, Baldwin, Leahy and I are taking the floor and will not stop speaking until we collapse from exhaustion or the bill is killed; whichever comes first.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »

Seven hours into the filibuster . . .

. . . and this is without mentioning the grave violations of the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution. This bIll expands domestic spying and warrentless wiretapping of American citizens. Doing so will only increase government overreach in the area of domestic defense. Spying on legal American citizens does notjing fo make us safer. In fact, I would argue it makes us less safe, which leads me to my next point . . . 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 03:50:39 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2017, 03:54:41 AM by GoTfan »

23 hours into the filibuster  . . .

. . . moreover, we are directly abandoning our own personal freedoms in the name of a policy that won't even ensure thd safety of our people. We are pushing a draconian police state policy that will only further destory the people's faith in Congress. You are all aware of course, that Congress has a 9% approval rating according to the public? I hope you are. This brings me to my next point on the concept of government by consent . . .

As a side note, I'll need a 24 hour extension. I've been posting these to alleviate boredom with Uni work.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2017, 06:18:36 PM »

31 hours into the filibuster  . . .

. . . not to mention the fact that Saudi Arabia is responsible, largely on their own, for spreading this ideology of Wahabbism, the driving force behind much Islamic terrorism in the modern world. We should be reviewing our ties with Saudi Arabia, not enhancing them. How can we claim to be fighting terrorism when we back the Saudis unconditionally. Furthermore, we need to discuss our commitment to aiding nations that spread this ideology. This brings me to the idea of a non-interventionist foreign policy . . .
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2017, 11:25:24 PM »

I'll have to post a summary this time

Sherrod Brown continued to hit the industrial states for Warren, calling out Portman's hypocrisy with regards to the Medicaid expansion, something that Brown's colleague supports. He also appeared at a rally for Ted Strickland, campaigning for him. In addition, Brown gave a fiery speech in Pittsburgh, calling on the workers there to either vote for a future with better wages, stonger unions and keeping their jobs in the US, as opposed to free trade deals that Rubio supports, again calling out Portman for getting elected on the backs of workers only to sell them out at first opportunity.

Brown also made a visit to Burlington, Vermont to speak with Senator Bernie Sanders, who is known to be unhappy with the content of the DNC hacks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies