What's your accent? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:09:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your accent? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's your accent?  (Read 14378 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 15, 2017, 04:58:45 AM »

Apparently, Yonkers is the closest thing to my North London certainly-not-RP-but-probably-not-estuary-either English.

Running my Scottish accent through it I get Worcester and Boston. Probably a vowel thing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »

There's a similar app for Britain/Ireland but you have to download.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/do-you-say-splinter-spool-spile-or-spell-english-dialects-app-tries-to-guess-your-regional-accenth

Nailed mine.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:08:11 AM »

I took the British one, and I got Cornwall: Frogpool, Tintagel, and Newlyn. I think this is interesting, since a lot of the early British settlers of the America came from Southwest England, and the isolated communities in Virginia and North Carolina which still speak with very old dialects tend to sound (to us Americans, probably not Brits) a lot like they're from the West Country.

I also think it's interesting since we believe that my first relative to come to the New World (and the one whose last name I share, so my father's father's father's father, and so on) likely came from either Devon or Cornwall. So in a way, it feels kind of cool to know that at least linguistically we have a couple unique pronunciations in common.

That sort of stuff interests me. The UK app is precise enough to know I'm from Lanarkshire not Glasgow despite shifting my accent a little at school. Using it as an American and working 'backwards' might over time, be able to link generic American inflections to certain parts of the UK.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 12:23:02 PM »

The NYT test placed me in Glasgow; my accent is effectively West Central Scots. My closest key word; skipping school 'dog it', soft shoes 'gutties' place me closer to Lanarkshire which is accurate. My own accent is a slight hybrid as it's picked up some slight 'higher class' inflection due to going to private school. I'm not proud of it Cheesy

As in this:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1819020744798983
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »

West-Flemish, a language even Belgians cannot understand lol

West Flemish (Dutch: West-Vlaams, French: flamand occidental) is a Germanic language closely related to Dutch, and sometimes considered a dialect of Dutch, that is spoken in western Belgium and adjoining parts of the Netherlands and France.[3]

West Flemish is spoken by about a million people in the Belgian province of West Flanders, and a further 120,000 in the neighbouring Dutch coastal district of Zeelandic Flanders and 10,000 in the northern part of the French département of Nord.[1] Some of the main cities where West Flemish is widely spoken are Bruges, Dunkirk, Kortrijk, Ostend, Roeselare, Ypres and Newport.

West Flemish is listed as a "vulnerable" language in UNESCO's online Red Book of Endangered Languages.

This might be the time to reveal a lot of my childhood and adult holidays were in West Flanders; my family had a place in Oostende and I went everywhere along the coast as well as Bruges, Kortrijk etc.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »

West-Flemish, a language even Belgians cannot understand lol

West Flemish (Dutch: West-Vlaams, French: flamand occidental) is a Germanic language closely related to Dutch, and sometimes considered a dialect of Dutch, that is spoken in western Belgium and adjoining parts of the Netherlands and France.[3]

West Flemish is spoken by about a million people in the Belgian province of West Flanders, and a further 120,000 in the neighbouring Dutch coastal district of Zeelandic Flanders and 10,000 in the northern part of the French département of Nord.[1] Some of the main cities where West Flemish is widely spoken are Bruges, Dunkirk, Kortrijk, Ostend, Roeselare, Ypres and Newport.

West Flemish is listed as a "vulnerable" language in UNESCO's online Red Book of Endangered Languages.

This might be the time to reveal a lot of my childhood and adult holidays were in West Flanders; my family had a place in Oostende and I went everywhere along the coast as well as Bruges, Kortrijk etc.
I live in Kortrijk and my parents have a place in Middelkerke, neighbouring town of Ostend.

Yes; I've stayed in Middelkerke a few times close to the tram stop near the camping grounds. Kortrijk I've spent some time in as I used to go from the coast to there, to Lille and then on to Paris if I had a lot of travel time.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 05:52:31 PM »

Not unexpected Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies