The ban just enacted includes legal US residents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:18:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The ban just enacted includes legal US residents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The ban just enacted includes legal US residents  (Read 4358 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: January 28, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »

I didn't sign up for this exactly (not that I have any regret in total), and this order is currently unclear. If the condition of accepting American citizenship is giving up any other citizenship, than we can expect a lot of this until a coherent system is implemented. If I had dual Somali-American citizenship and traveled to Mogadishu with my Somali passport and tried to return, I could find myself detained coming back. If we're doing it this way then expect a massive backlog to grow.

I think it's safe to say that a vast, vast, vast majority of naturalized American citizens who immigrated to the US long before ISIS was on the radar. I really don't think they should be subjected to the travel ban. The ban would be most effective if applied to all non-American citizen visitors/asylum seekers/immigrants from the countries tagged by the administration, regardless of religion. That's what I signed up, but that can be best implemented through Congress and not what I suspect will soon be declared an unconstitutional executive order.

It's a shame, because the idea is sound but it's execution thus far has been an abortion.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »

Half baked, stupid policy gets enacted in half baked, stupid way
Yep. This is a bad end to an otherwise phenomenal week.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »

The only problem I have with this temporary shutdown is that it does not go anywhere near far enough to be useful. It should cover terrorism hotspots such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan, as well, at minimum.
Pakistan definitely needs to be on the list.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 05:28:18 PM »

The only problem I have with this temporary shutdown is that it does not go anywhere near far enough to be useful. It should cover terrorism hotspots such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan, as well, at minimum.
Pakistan definitely needs to be on the list.
Sometimes I forget why I people ignore you, then you post stuff like this and it comes back to me.
I literally don't understand what you're trying to say but I have noticed a decrease in stalking on your part. Thanks Trump!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »

Protestors shouting "No Ban, No Registry, F*** White Supremacy" outside of JFK

That probably won't help anything.

What the *** does it hurt? If you want to tssk tssk protesters for using foul language to attack this legitimately bad policy, then you need a wake up call.

I've been critical of this policy pretty much all day. Not sure what your problem is.

It hurts in that the protestors are completely missing the point by injecting racial BS into this.
If that is what your worried about you really need to get a grip.

If you want to turn off potential allies for the sake of moral signalling, be my guest. Doesn't help anyone who can't get home.
I'll go with what MLK said on this subject.  The White Moderate is the one who most stands in the way of progress.  One who detests the use of tactics in fighting for equality is no help to the movement, only a deterrent.
So you are injecting racial bs into this then?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »

I do enjoy watching the usual suspects come squawking out of of the hen-house after the eight year presidency of Barack Obama, which was basically based around executed orders.

The protests at JFK sure seem annoying. So is the CNN field reporter who won't attempt to feign objectivity for her life. They're blocking traffic now, too. Time to bring out of the tear gas.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »

I do enjoy watching the usual suspects come squawking out of of the hen-house after the eight year presidency of Barack Obama, which was basically based around executed orders.
Can you for a minute not be such a heartless wretch and see what this for what it is.  Try to not be some cold bastard for once in your life.
I have plenty of warmth for people who have the right to be here, rest assured. I have yet to hear any reason from you besides "it's the right thing to do" and I suspect that I'll only receive a barely comprehensible, profanity laced, ALL CAPS response.

I don't post here that often nowadays, but I support the stay. I legitimately feel for the people who were stuck in the airport and those who are already here should be allowed to stay. I however the idea of this Executive Order, but it was terribly worded and should be repealed and replaced with a more narrow and less vague order which allows religious minorities and those who helped the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The stay only applies to those currently detained, new people coming in are still blocked

I dont think thats true.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/825530500668354560
https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/825525912447963138
https://mobile.twitter.com/dale_e_ho/status/825525311278284800
Religious minorities (ie, persecuted Christians) are being put on the top of the list. I find that to be horribly wrong. If we take people in, we should take them in on a first come first serve basis. I don't see why a Syrian Christian has anymore of a right to be here then a Muslim from Aleppo, and in either case, neither of them have an actual right to be here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »

Can you for a minute not be such a heartless wretch and see what this for what it is.  Try to not be some cold bastard for once in your life.
I have plenty of warmth for people who have the right to be here, rest assured. I have yet to hear any reason from you besides "it's the right thing to do" and I suspect that I'll only receive a barely comprehensible, profanity laced, ALL CAPS response.

I don't post here that often nowadays, but I support the stay. I legitimately feel for the people who were stuck in the airport and those who are already here should be allowed to stay. I however the idea of this Executive Order, but it was terribly worded and should be repealed and replaced with a more narrow and less vague order which allows religious minorities and those who helped the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The stay only applies to those currently detained, new people coming in are still blocked

I dont think thats true.
Religious minorities (ie, persecuted Christians) are being put on the top of the list. I find that to be horribly wrong. If we take people in, we should take them in on a first come first serve basis. I don't see why a Syrian Christian has anymore of a right to be here then a Muslim from Aleppo, and in either case, neither of them have an actual right to be here.

So basically not being white means you have no right to be here?
Not being a US citizen means you have no right to be here. A green-card is not citizenship. You have a right to leave America, but not one to enter.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 03:34:44 PM »

I dont think thats true.

So basically not being white means you have no right to be here?
Not being a US citizen means you have no right to be here. A green-card is not citizenship. You have a right to leave America, but not one to enter.

Why is it okay to leave people to die because they don't have citizenship papers?
A combination of security concerns, economic limitations, and managing public resources available to the most vulnerable. The question I have for you is why is it desirable for us to set aside these concerns beside some vague, emotion sourced argument of "it is the right thing to do?" What makes it right? I have still, six pages later, not heard a convincing argument.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies