"America has the richest poor in the world!" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:11:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "America has the richest poor in the world!" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "America has the richest poor in the world!"  (Read 1923 times)
Link
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »

When I see the homeless man by the freeway on-ramp or a mother paying for formula with WIC coupons, I think, "man, these Americans have it on easy street. How rich these poor are!"

Well homelessness is a whole other can of worms IMO. A lot of that has to do with drug abuse, mental health etc.

Very interesting how you put that.  I've never heard anyone say it that way.  I think people that work in that area would say a lot of the homeless problem has to do with mental health issues.  And obviously drug addiction is a mental health issue in it's own right and it is also often secondary to an underlying unaddressed mental health issue with people self medicating.  Just breaking out "drug abuse," putting it top of the list and not acknowledging it is actually drug addiction really does a disservice to people who are suffering because of the chronic lack of adequate healthcare in America.  I guess that approach also helps people feel okay with blaming the sick.

Her kids won't starve, and they have a decent chance of becoming obese Tongue

Meaning if you are not "starving" everything is okay.  This may come as a shock to someone that hasn't traveled but there are plenty of kids living in poverty in third world countries that are not "starving."

The line in the title is dumb and incorrect, but it contains a kernel of truth. After all, there are lots of people who want to become American poors.

Well there are also lots of people who want to purchase a lottery ticket so they can be a multi millionaires.  I wouldn't say those people are doing okay.  Just because the planet has been sold a bunch of propaganda doesn't mean it's true.  And anyway some day you should get a passport and come to the US and walk the mean streets for yourself.  There are plenty of people that come and go from this country every year.  There are plenty of students that show up and once they see what the deal is they have no desire to stay.

The game plan of the far right is to sell everyone the American dream.  Well unlike the American sheeple there are a lot of foreigners that see through this scam and realize they would be better off at home.  People like Putin, the leadership in China, Iran, etc are not nice people.  But part of the beef they have with the United States is legitimate.  There are plenty of people in plenty of countries that on paper do not make as many dollars a year as the US but live much happier and fulfilled lives with dignity.
Link
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »

Link, you're reading waaaayyyy too much into my comments. See where I bolded.

Perhaps.  That's always a possibility.  But you did make a rather lengthy statement that many of the poor in America are not "starving."  I countered that many children living in poverty in third world countries are not "starving" either.  So using the metric of "starving" is invalid.

I am sorry if I misunderstood and misrepresented your statements.  It's just after the rule of Reagan and his dog whistle talk of welfare queens driving Cadillac I'm always suspicious of people saying stuff ain't that bad for poor Americans.

Just about all my foreign born friends I speak to say the American dream is not all it's cracked up to be.  And a fair number of them leave or never come over to put down permanent roots.

I personally would much rather live in a small sparsely furnished house in the Caribbean somewhere with no DVD player, microwave, coffee maker, flat panel TV, etc and work a modest job and relax on a beach on my weekends off than work 60 hours a week at two low paying service jobs in the US and deal with the police harassment and patronizing rich people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies