Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:42:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mozilla CEO forced out because of Prop 8 Donation  (Read 8113 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: April 05, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »

Honestly oakvale, I'm pro-marriage equality, but I agree with you. I don't agree that this is somehow a violation of the First Amendment (like some of this CEO's supporters are saying), but come on, he made a small donation to a bigoted cause. Would it be alright if a CEO of a different company was forced out if they donated to a pro-marriage equality or an environmental cause? I'm not going to yell "those who want tolerance are intolerant", but it seems distasteful somehow, since he hadn't really done anything since Prop 8 unlike say, Chick-Fil-A.

Yeah, I'm for gay marriage (if we must have marriage), but whipping up outrage against private citizens for expressing their personal political views is pretty disturbing - there's no suggestion that his personal views were going to affect policy at Mozilla in any way, yet heresy against mainstream liberalism must, apparently, be swiftly punished.

As Mozilla themselves announced, he wasn't 'pushed'; he quit. He lost the support of his own company and indeed, Eich only announced he was stepping down after it was revealed on Wednesday that he'd given money to Pat Buchanan's presidential campaign in 1992, and later to Ron Paul's campaign.

Given the ethos of Mozilla, it's staff and shareholders, Eich not only had a history of making a donation to reverse the rights of same sex couples to marry (which whether you like it or not is now a make or break issue for many people) he had also given donations to two of the most, how shall we put it, marginal Republican candidates of their respective campaigns.

That was all that had been dug up about him before he stood down. It was not good business sense for him to continue as the CEO of a company that has an entirely different ethos to the values that the CEO holds.

What is wrong with making a donation to Ron Paul?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies