BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:42:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Boston Bomber sentenced to death  (Read 7665 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: May 15, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »

I can't believe it but I actually agree with kaljewt on this one.

I understand the need for retribution, but retribution is about getting even. The state doesn't need to get even with guys like this because the state is already so dominant over him. Now if he had killed more people than your standard domestic family murder suicide situation, or there was some sort of war going on and our "side" we're losing, then I wouldn't hesitate to shoot him in retaliation for participating in four murders. But there is no contest for supremacy, there is only judgement, so we can afford to be merciful.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »

Glad to see most people on Huffington Post opposing this.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:03:48 AM »

I'm 100% pro-life -- even conscious animal life, should be respected to the highest degree possible. However, an unfertilized embryo is not yet a life in a moral sense because it has never been conscious, and does not become conscious until some later point during development. Otherwise, then millions of people are dying merely by the fact that about a third of embryos naturally fail to implant, and this is a crisis that requires immediate intervention. At an earlier stage of pregnancy, the life of people who are or have been conscious, and will be again, has to be given a higher priority.

A ban on abortion after the point of fetal first consciousness does make sense, but I understand people who would oppose it even then, on the ground that no person is obligated to lend the use of their body to another, even if it would result in the other's death. I wouldn't support that position, but I think it's the one a strict libertarian would take.

As far as the Bible goes, it is does not unambiguously take the modern anti-abortion rights stance by any means. Indeed, both St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas both cited "quickening" as the point of "ensoulment", and in this respect I think my position outlined above is closer to theirs, than the view that a fully moral human is created at the moment the sperm penetrates the egg.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:07:45 AM »

Using the Bible as a citation for specific morals is a flawed way to think anyway, but sadly it's what millions in this country are going to do anyway.

Of course, I don't base my view on the Bible, but as a Christian, it does matter to me from a personal standpoint, and I respect others for whom it is significant.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 12:37:13 AM »

Using the Bible as a citation for specific morals is a flawed way to think anyway, but sadly it's what millions in this country are going to do anyway.

Of course, I don't base my view on the Bible, but as a Christian, it does matter to me from a personal standpoint, and I respect others for whom it is significant.

(Response was intended for RFayette regarding the issue of the death penalty not being called out. I don't even want to get into the issue of abortion which has even less to take from the Bible. Taking the moral perspective of one time period is a horrendous way to rationalize a current policy.)

Certainly, but if the other side is going to be talking about it, then so will I.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies