This is why we can't have a reasonable eugenics debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:12:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  This is why we can't have a reasonable eugenics debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is why we can't have a reasonable eugenics debate  (Read 2901 times)
Cashew
United States

« on: December 09, 2016, 12:54:28 AM »

Abortion should be safe, legal, and encouraged, if not mandatory for immature teenage girls who are driving up our poverty rate.
You beat me to it. I don't even have words for that. Mandatory abortions...

The cause of most problems in today's society is the fact that stupid people are allowed to breed. In fact, they're fast out-pacing non stupid people. Most issues we have today, including viral videos, welfare families, victimhood mentalities, and most hate issues are simply the chickens coming home to roost. I think you ought to have to get a license to have a child, and you have to pass the same tests as you do to adopt a child. Nobody hears about an alcoholic, heroin-addicted, non-functioning junkie being granted custody of a child, and yet that tramp is allowed to pop out a kid.

As an individual with a balanced translocation, I can understand wanting to keep the gene pool as efficient as possible. The problem is that the most ardent advocates of eugenics quickly expose their malicious nature.

I mean really, if genetics determine destiny, why do you bother insulting the woman as a "tramp" for something she did not choose, unless you get sadistic glee at attacking those less fortunate?

Cashew
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 01:25:39 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who's to define a gene pool's "efficiency"? What even constitutes "efficient"? Are you completely unaware that a person's environment and socialization play a far greater role in their outcome? If you care about improving society, then focus on reducing abuse and neglect of children, providing them a world class education, keep them out of poverty, and teach tolerance and empathy for all living things.

I agree entirely with all your proposals. Nevertheless I have to play devil's advocate and will stand by the fact that there is a utilitarian case for eugenics. If future generations have to deal with birth defects, is is not morally obligatory for me to adopt instead?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Eugenics is rightfully treated with extreme skepticism and disdain. It's the refuge of those who think of humans in terms of some genetic hierarchy; this is damnable as it too often leads to racism, ableism, classism, and a total lack of empathy towards their fellow man. No matter how you try to dress it up in benevolent terms, it's a sick view.

I agree, eugenics historically has attracted the worst people. Can we not separate an idea from the motives of those who promote it?
Cashew
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2016, 03:48:32 PM by Cashew »

Eugenics is pure evil, and I guess my naive self believed that the defeat of Hitler at the very least discredited the theory forever and put a much-deserved stigma of shame on anyone who'd even question that truth.

Yes. And anybody who advocates limited government is evil because of the confederacy.

C'mon somebody, make a moral argument against eugenics.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 04:04:46 PM »

Eugenics is pure evil, and I guess my naive self believed that the defeat of Hitler at the very least discredited the theory forever and put a much-deserved stigma of shame on anyone who'd even question that truth.

Yes. And anybody who advocates limited government is evil because of the confederacy.

C'mon somebody, make a moral argument against eugenics.

LOL, the CSA couldn't even bullshlt a fake ideology based on small government (Dred Scott, anyone?), and they CERTAINLY didn't have a small government once they were on their own!  Let's not pretend like proponents of small government today carry any weight of the Confederacy with political heritage.  That's ridiculous.

When they lie about history, just like the confederates there certainly is baggage.

But I will concede that was not my best example.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies