Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 12:51:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now! (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you be interested in joining a new forum that would serve as an "Atlas After Dark"?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 107

Author Topic: Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now!  (Read 17470 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 11, 2015, 05:29:04 PM »
« edited: June 01, 2015, 11:10:49 PM by Eraserhead »

Essentially it'd be somewhat similar to this forum except:

- Censorship rules would be extremely relaxed.
- Swearing would be 100% acceptable.
- There would be an effort made to attract some of the posters who were banned from here for controversial reasons (think opebo and jmfcst).
- Political boards would still be a big part of the forum but there would be more of a focus on "off-topic" type stuff than there is on here.
- Update would not only be permitted but there would be an entire board dedicated to it as well as some sub-boards.
- Personal threats against other posters, especially threats of violence, would still not be tolerated.

What do you guys think? What else might you like to see?

9 PM EDIT: Thanks to HockeyDude, the new forum is up and running! Contact him (or me) via PM for the link!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »

I don't really care who ends up as Modadmin or as the moderators since they will be Mods In Name Only (MIDS) 99.9% of the time. There will be virtually no moderation outside of stopping people who are making specific personal threats.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:50:07 PM »

Oh, and most importantly we would need a tech-saavy current mod to confirm the identities of those trying to register.  This board would be exclusive to people already on Atlas or have been banned from Atlas.  This is key. 

While the focus of the forum should obviously be to attract Atlas posters and ex-Atlas posters, I'm not sure that I'm 100% against a few newbies joining up (especially if they're people that our posters can vouch for). So that point may be worth opening up for debate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

I'll probably still post here and I imagine most of the other posters who post on the new forum still will as well (just not as much).

Due to the changes and increased censorship on this forum, this pretty much had to happen at some point. The cancellation of Update was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »

11 votes. I bet we'll have close to 30 before the night is through. Looks like we're off to the races, boys.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:13:29 PM »

Part of the reason why I wouldn't like to stop every single non-Atlas entity from posting on the new forum is that I would love to see if we could actually attract a few more female and minority posters to our forum than there are here. It's not like that would be an especially tall order.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 06:15:21 PM »

This sounds like a good idea, but I would be wary about making too many forums. I think, especially if there are only 20-30 of us, then no more than two or three sub-forums are really necessary. Maybe just "Politics" and "Not Politics" forums would be good, to start with.

Also I think Torie is confusing Eraserhead and me. Tongue

Haha, I thought he might be at first too but I think he was referring to HockeyDude.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »

This sounds like a good idea, but I would be wary about making too many forums. I think, especially if there are only 20-30 of us, then no more than two or three sub-forums are really necessary. Maybe just "Politics" and "Not Politics" forums would be good, to start with.

Also I think Torie is confusing Eraserhead and me. Tongue

Good idea.  This is no attempt to make Atlas Proper useless.  

How does "Politics", "Not Politics", and "Update" sound?

I could live with that for now. I suppose we could always add more later. My guess is that the forum will end with a number closer to 50-60 than 20-30 though. Let us remember how many of us signed up to invade Politicalforum.com on a whim.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »

Sounds like the first step towards killing Atlas. I've barely been here 6 months Sad

On the 16th of this month, I'll have been here 9 years. I'm ready for a change.

The intention isn't to kill Atlas though. Just think of it as an extension of Atlas.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »

I would definitely be interested! (especially if Libertas is allowed to come back). I might still be here somewhat, but it might be nice to have another forum that isn't as strict and focuses a lot on entertainment.

I'd have no issue with Libertas returning. I thought his latest incarnation was good stuff.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:39:25 PM »

Yeah, this will probably erase a lot of the hostility between the moderators and the peasant posters here. Isn't that a good thing?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 07:34:04 PM »

Guys, please register for the new forum under your Atlas names. Let's make this as simple as possible.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »

11 members already? Hot damn!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »

Duke and I have some experience with the trials and tribulations of spinoff forums.

My suggestion is to keep it simple and laissez faire. One board where everything goes and just keep the moderation to anti-spam. Make it a true tax haven state.

Oh and please make sure it isn't ugly.

It's no uglier or prettier than this forum is.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 08:32:38 PM »

The demand for this is really awesome. It's getting tough to keep up with the PMs.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 08:56:48 PM »

Well over 20 members already and many of the people who I know are going to be there haven't even signed up yet.

So far, it's a smashing success.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »

Doing my best to keep up with the requests. I'm sure Hockey is too. It's getting pretty crazy.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »

36 and counting. I bet we break 50 sometime tomorrow.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 01:00:49 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2015, 01:09:33 AM by Eraserhead »

You are all assuming I am just going to pop in there and update about my life.  I am actually quite happy without any forum update.  And, the allowance of profanity completely turns me off.  I'll stay here on this forum and the other forum that you guys foolishly tried to invade.

lol - Okay Jeff. It's not like people are swearing in every post or anything but we're not a forum that will be used by grade schools for class projects so we're not going to give people death points for the occasional swear word.

The forum will be there waiting for you when you're ready to update again.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 01:16:40 AM »

45 members!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 01:45:07 AM »

Dont approve me, I was bored and drunk and didn't capitalize my name properly. Plus I don't really want to be there.

Looks like you were already approved. You can change your username and capitalize it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 11:07:59 AM »

You guys may have to wait for HockeyDude to approve your accounts since he set up the forum. He will, just be patient.

Also, I'm trying to send everyone links. Bear with us.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 11:30:03 AM »

Praise Jesus!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »

HockeyDude or Yelnoc has to do it. They will ASAP.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »

Have any overtures been made to opebo, jmfcst, libertas, Lewis, etc.

Yes, except maybe jmcfst.  I don't know how to contact him and I think there's only one person here who does.

Did you contact Lewis, Grumps? I'd love to see him on the new forum as well.

Who is the person who knows how to contact jmfcst?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies