Which of these hypothetical Democratic tickets would perform better in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:46:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Which of these hypothetical Democratic tickets would perform better in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these hypothetical Democratic tickets would perform better in 2020?
Kirsten Gillibrand/ Deval Patrick

Cory Booker/ Catherine Cortez Masto

Amy Klobuchar/ Steve Bullock

Gavin Newsom/ Tim Ryan

Kamala Harris/ Sherrod Brown

Elizabeth Warren/ Julian Castro

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Which of these hypothetical Democratic tickets would perform better in 2020?  (Read 800 times)
Joey1996

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:11:14 PM »

Assuming Biden and Bernie don't run due to age, which one of these possible tickets would perform better against Trump/Pence?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:32:09 PM »

Assuming Biden and Bernie don't run due to age, which one of these possible tickets would perform better against Trump/Pence?

Klobuchar/Bullock would probably have the most appeal to the general public, Harris/Brown and Warren/Castro are probably the most balanced (these two tickets have one person from the Bernie wing on the ticket and the other from the Hillary wing), so they'd probably excite the base the most (outside of the staunchest Bernie supporters and biggest affluent Latte sipping social liberals on the coasts). 2020 would be too soon for Newsom,  Gillibrand/Patrick could be problematic IMHO, and any ticket with Cory Booker risks going down in defeat. I guess I'd rank them:

Klobuchar/Bullock (tie)
Harris/Brown (tie)
Warren/Castro (tie)
Gillibrand/Patrick
Newsom/Ryan
Booker/Cortez-Masto
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:47:13 PM »

Harris/Brown
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:54:48 PM »

Klobucahar/Bullock. 

I’m concerned about Kamala’s electability nationwide, even with Brown as her running mate.  Take a look at how she underformed in California’s AG election back in 2010.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:04:55 PM »

Klobucahar/Bullock. 

I’m concerned about Kamala’s electability nationwide, even with Brown as her running mate.  Take a look at how she underformed in California’s AG election back in 2010.

Agree, Harris was the worst performing Dem in that year and she didn't even have an Republican opponent in 2016. I'm less than impressed by her electoral performance, any candidate from Cali especially SF is just going to be painted as a coastal elitist. Meanwhile Klobuchar wins landlines in a pretty polarized state while Bullock pulled off impressive wins a red state.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 11:19:21 PM »

1. Amy Klobuchar/ Steve Bullock -Good, would appeal to midwesterners. Best option.
2. Elizabeth Warren/ Julian Castro -Not great, but not too bad.
3. Kirsten Gillibrand/ Deval Patrick -Not great.
4. Kamala Harris/ Sherrod Brown -Bad, Brown helps shore up Harris's weaknesses but she's way overrated as a candidate.
5. Cory Booker/ Catherine Cortez Masto -Bad because Booker.
6. Gavin Newsom/ Tim Ryan -Very Bad, SF fiscal righty paired with bore.
Joey1996

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:02:31 AM »

Klobuchar/Bullock would probably have the most appeal to the general public, Harris/Brown and Warren/Castro are probably the most balanced (these two tickets have one person from the Bernie wing on the ticket and the other from the Hillary wing), so they'd probably excite the base the most (outside of the staunchest Bernie supporters and biggest affluent Latte sipping social liberals on the coasts). 2020 would be too soon for Newsom,  Gillibrand/Patrick could be problematic IMHO, and any ticket with Cory Booker risks going down in defeat. I guess I'd rank them:

Klobuchar/Bullock (tie)
Harris/Brown (tie)
Warren/Castro (tie)
Gillibrand/Patrick
Newsom/Ryan
Booker/Cortez-Masto

Wait why would Gillibrand/Patrick be problematic?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:29:38 AM »

Klobuchar/Bullock (tie)
Harris/Brown (tie)
Warren/Castro (tie)
Gillibrand/Patrick
Newsom/Ryan
Booker/Cortez-Masto

I think it would be because there's no regional balance or much ideological balance (if any). No regional or ideological balance was something that could be done in 1992, it's not something the Dems can do in 2020. I think it would drive down turnout among Democrats for some of the same reasons Clinton/Kaine did.
Joey1996

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 01:52:07 AM »

I think Newsom/Ryan is being criminally underrated here.

Sure Newsom would only be a two year governor (assuming he wins) by 2020, and that might be viewed as using Californians as a stepping stone for his presidential bid.... and his positions on small government as mayor of San Francisco will turn off many on the left... but he is a young(er), attractive guy who is running on a platform of universal healthcare, an end of the war on drugs and fixing the rampant wealth inequality in California. If he could deliver on these policies and keep California's economy booming it would show what he could do as president.

Ryan is a guy who would completely contrast with Newsom... he's a Mid-Westerner who might be able to win back important contests in the rust belt and his relationship with Congress would make him a strong VP pick, especially if he joins House leadership (Majority Whip?) following a blue wave in November.

I know a ticket of two white guys might not be the best idea for Dems in 2020, but they would probably win handedly.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:05 AM »

Kirsten Gillibrand/ Deval Patrick: Outspoken, popular & controversial white female + little-known black male
 Cory Booker/ Catherine Cortez Masto: Outspoken, controversial black male + little-known hispanic female
 Amy Klobuchar/ Steve Bullock: Little-known, popular white female + lesser-known but popular white male
 Gavin Newsom/ Tim Ryan: Lesser-known, controversial white male + little-known popular white male
 Kamala Harris/ Sherrod Brown: Outspoken, controversial black female + popular white male
 Elizabeth Warren/ Julian Castro: Outspoken, popular & controversial white female + lesser-known hispanic male
Joey1996

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 01:59:55 AM »

Klobuchar/Bullock (tie)
Harris/Brown (tie)
Warren/Castro (tie)
Gillibrand/Patrick
Newsom/Ryan
Booker/Cortez-Masto

I think it would be because there's no regional balance or much ideological balance (if any). No regional or ideological balance was something that could be done in 1992, it's not something the Dems can do in 2020. I think it would drive down turnout among Democrats for some of the same reasons Clinton/Kaine did.

Fair enough, good points.
Joey1996

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »

0 votes, lol is Booker that bad of a candidate?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »

Harris/Brown is better for the long term but Klobuchar/Bullock would do.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »

Bullock pulled off impressive wins a red state.

Actually, his 4-point victory in 2016 was very underwhelming when you compare it to the absolute landslide margins Schweitzer, Racicot, Schwinden, Lee Judge, etc. won their reelection by.

Anyway, Booker/Cortez-Masto would be my pick.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »

Bullock pulled off impressive wins a red state.

Actually, his 4-point victory in 2016 was very underwhelming when you compare it to the absolute landslide margins Schweitzer, Racicot, Schwinden, Lee Judge, etc. won their reelection by.

Anyway, Booker/Cortez-Masto would be my pick.

Schweitzer was running in a year when Obama barely lost the state. Bullock overcome Hillary losing the state by 20 points and while being outspend heavily by Gianforte. And Schweitzer only won by 4 points in 2004 when Bush was carrying the state by 20.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 01:59:10 PM »

Schweitzer was running in a year when Obama barely lost the state. Bullock overcome Hillary losing the state by 20 points and while being outspend heavily by Gianforte. And Schweitzer only won by 4 points in 2004 when Bush was carrying the state by 20.

I'm not denying that it was a clear-cut victory, all I'm saying is that it's very uncommon for incumbent governors in Montana to lose reelection. Racicot ran ahead of Dole by 55 points in 1996, Schweitzer outperformed Obama by 35 points, etc.

Bullock will probably run against Daines anyway IMO.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »

0 votes, lol is Booker that bad of a candidate?

Yep
Joey1996

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »

True
sverkol

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »

Kamala Harris is underrated here,she is charismatic and progressive with a strong appeal to minorties and millennials.
But i prefer klobuchar/Bullock over her.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »

Almost any ticket with Brown would win, and Harris isn't terrible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies