OLD: Comprehensive Social Security Reform Act (See new thread: Reference Only)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:24:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  OLD: Comprehensive Social Security Reform Act (See new thread: Reference Only)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23
Author Topic: OLD: Comprehensive Social Security Reform Act (See new thread: Reference Only)  (Read 38515 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: August 01, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »

And despite Kalwejt, I do, in fact, "give a damn." (And would lay the majority of the blame on the Senate not caring very much lately.. But that's neither here nor there.)

I hope you have noticed I said "successive GMs". This bill is under work much longer, than you in your current post.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #401 on: August 01, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

It would be a hideous distortion of truth to blame the Senate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #402 on: August 01, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »

Ajudicating blame will only serve to waste more time. Instead I think we should keep focused on the task at hand.

Current Text

We can certainly expedite things without the GM. Look for obvious budget busters like I did with the Elderly Insurance. The worst possible result is currently unclear text is clarified.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #403 on: August 02, 2011, 01:05:45 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2011, 03:24:15 AM by Marokai Sovereign »

Okay guys, I'm just going to start by looking at how much of a net increase we're talking here by each section because I don't like Badger's previous estimations one bit at all. I'll analyze the entire bill first so I know how much we're saving by slashing off sections of it after the fact.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I honestly don't think this section needs to be here at all. It seems incredibly redundant considering the National Healthcare Act, which is much more detailed and handles any problem that this section is trying to talk about. If Antonio wants to set up another board to oversee the national health program, that's cool, but I don't see what this really does aside from that. If it were me I would just strike this entirely.

I'm operating under the assumption that all of these things replace things that already exist. For instance, that Social Security is going to be replaced by what Antonio proposes here, and that Unemployment Insurance as it currently stands is going to be completely replaced by what he's proposing here as well.

We currently spent $139.33 billion on unemployment compensation. The maximum amount of time we allow most people to receive UI is six months, and it amounts to around 50% of the individual's former wages as an employee. The maximum someone can receive through UI is around $1800-$2400 a month, or something like that, so let's just assume for the sake of this argument that the max is $2200 a month.

Considering Antonio's proposals... this adds alot. Antonio's proposal institutes no maximum amount of time for getting UI. It makes the maximum amount $4000 a month instead of $2200 a month, and while 50% of the wage is what it is under the current system, that doesn't become the norm under this bill until 4 years have passed.

Now, in fairness, most people aren't going to be getting that maximum because most people probably don't make enough to qualify for that. And also, plenty of people will want to get a new job at some point, so not everyone is going to stay on UI forever. But considering that the first year is 90% of the person's wage, the second is 80%, and the third is 70% and so on.. you're not only looking at a spending problem in this section, but a lingering unemployment problem probably somewhere in the ballpark of, like, 20%. But anyway, that's not what I'm here to analyze, is it?

The cost of this section is pretty big.We currently spent $139.33 billion. Under Antonio's proposals as they stand, we will likely end up spending somewhere in the ballpark of $450 billion. (Or a net increase of $311 billion.) There is no way of being sure of this proposal until it goes into effect, but considering that the spending of this program will only increase until it's been in place for a few years, consider that $450 billion number lowballing it.

To my knowledge we don't currently have a monthly child benefit or anything resembling it, so this is all new spending, and if anyone wants to correct me on that, go for it.

All in all I don't see the need for this section. For the purposes of guesstimating costs here I would say that the vast majority of households wouldn't take advantage of the credit, because if it was a mandatory benefit, it would get alot more costly. Consider this, at an average rate of 260 dollars a month, 12 months a year, for just six million kids, you're talking $18.72 billion dollars a year. So I'll be generous and say this is costing $20 billion a year flat. Compared to the UI changes, this is pocket change, but it's still all-new spending.

As I said earlier, I'm assuming Social Security is either getting abolished or rebranded as this. So for future reference, we currently spend $454.4 billion purely on Social Security pensions not counting disability benefits.

Antonio proposes a minimum monthly pension benefit of $1000 a month. Considering that the RL average monthly benefit for Social Security is $1079, this isn't as dire as you would initially suspect. The money here, however, is being spent from his calculations of monthly payouts. Antonio's proposal calculates the payout from the highest point in the worker's salary (pretty much), and takes 80% of that as the payment.

Needless to say this adds up to far more than $1079 a month.

For the purposes of guesstimating, let's just say it's 80% of the average income of Atlasia. Let's also say that that income number is $46326 (it was roughly this in 2004 in RL.) 80% of said amount is $37060, which amounts to $3088 a month. If we're already spending $454.4 billion a year with $1079 as the average monthly payout, we're going to spend well over a trillion under Antonio's proposal. Probably closer to $1.2 trillion.

I'm going to be kind to my good friend Antonio and stop there.

We spend about $90 billion in the Social Security disability payouts, so I'll assume alot of those same payouts carry over in Antonio's system. Considering the low amount that alot of the payouts amounted to in the child benefit program he proposed earlier, I really don't think this amounts to much of a net increase in spending. I'll assume we spent $10 billion more in disability payments than we do now for a total of $100 billion a year.

Added up, Antonio's ORIGINAL PROPOSALS, NOT HIS AMENDED PROPOSALS, come to a nicely guesstimated $1.68 trillion, or a net increase of $1.077 trillion.

NOW I SHALL GUESSTIMATE HOW MUCH ANTONIO IS SAVING IN HIS AMENDMENTS AND HOW MUCH THE REVENUE COMES TO FROM ALL THE TAXES.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #404 on: August 02, 2011, 01:54:15 AM »

Now how much we save by his amendments. I'll try to make this quicker:

This is what I propose (relative to the benefits) :

Health insurance Sad no change

Get rid of it, guys. Cmon.

We currently spent $139.33 billion on this. Under Antonio's proposals as they stand, we probably end up spending $450 billion just to start with. These amendments do cut off some of that cost, but they're still very generous and a serious expansion of the current UI system. Though it saves money, I don't think it saves much more than $50 billion. Let's say under these amendments we go down to $390 billion as opposed to $450.

This saves $20 billion.

I need clarification on this. This surely can't be meant to be a monthly benefit, as it would either change nothing, or cost a couple extra trillion more. If it's meant to be a yearly cap of $8000 (which seems out of place with Antonio's generosity elsewhere) then we'd end up spending less on elderly pensions than we already do now. So Antonio, please clarify.

Nothing changes here, clearly.

For now the savings amount of $80 billion. Not a whole lot, until I get Antonio's clarification on the elderly pension savings. But even still, you guys are in deep s**t revenue wise because, savings from the elderly pension programs not in yet, you're still spending an extra trillion.

All told I think you are looking at significant taxation, and certainly more than 10%, all told.

I'm going to presume (correctly, I think) that all of the proposed taxes are in fact new taxes and not any sort of taxes that are carried over. I'm getting pretty tired at this point, but I think it would be a fair guesstimation to say that with the taxes combined capped out at 10% (we are talking the equivalent of an additional 10% in income tax, correct? that's what I'll presume) that we rake in an extra $300 billion a year.

This leaves you guys quite short.

As for where most of this money comes from in terms of individual taxes, the Unemployment Insurance tax levied in this bill as well as the additional Elderly Pensions salary tax bring in about 70% of that 300 billion. The rest comes from a combination of the Health taxes and Minor Insurance taxes, and I didn't factor in the child credit tax, since under Antonio's amendments, that section is stricken in it's entirety.

I normally wouldn't include this sort of thing, but I read through the bill before starting all of this and Antonio said he would've appreciated it if Badger did this before, so I've decided to at least give him a very rough idea of what's coming in from where.

At the end of this mess (which took me hours, by the way, Yankee. Not 30 minutes) we come up with the following:

Under Antonio's original proposals, you're spending an extra $1.077 trillion.

Under Antonio's amended proposals,
until I get clarification on the elderly pension program amendment, you're still spending around $997 billion.

Which you're paying for by bringing in an additional $300 billion in revenue.

I suggest some work on that!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2011, 02:03:06 AM »

Yes, hence my considerable concerns about this Bill...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: August 02, 2011, 02:05:56 AM »

Yes, hence my considerable concerns about this Bill...

Also, I demand a pay raise. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #407 on: August 02, 2011, 05:13:22 AM »

Thank you Marokai for the work you put into this. You gave us the kind of numbers we needed to assess the bill's impact on economy and budget. If I get the numbers right, that means my bill would nearly triple the costs in Welfare State, from 0.6 trilion to 1.68, while only adding around 0.3 of taxation. As you put it, it seems the current bill is unworkable and needs a total rewriting. Something that is impossible to achieve before September.

To make everything clear, I'll adress your few uncertainties.

I meant a 10% increase in the total amount of money levied through every tax. I don't know if it changes a lot, but if that makes up for the 1 trillion needed to fund this bill, it will be a good thing.

The maximum pension I set was $8000 per month, but if necessary we can make it lower.

The main objective was to regroup every branch of welfare state under a common administration, and clarify its functioning. If this section is redundant with the National Healthcare Act, shouldn't that mean it doesn't generate new costs anyways ?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: August 02, 2011, 05:29:31 AM »

Thank you Marokai for the work you put into this. You gave us the kind of numbers we needed to assess the bill's impact on economy and budget. If I get the numbers right, that means my bill would nearly triple the costs in Welfare State, from 0.6 trilion to 1.68, while only adding around 0.3 of taxation. As you put it, it seems the current bill is unworkable and needs a total rewriting. Something that is impossible to achieve before September.

Let's be more positive about it, Antonio. You can still do this. It's possible to cut this down to a deficit neutral package. I'd hate to see you go out like this.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #409 on: August 02, 2011, 07:13:33 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2011, 07:15:32 AM by senator shua »

Marokai, I'm impressed you were able to put this together. The one area where I disagree with your analysis is on the health insurance part. I don't believe that the current system has a sustainable source of revenue, since it is based on a tax on private insurance.  As more people come to rely on expansive, universal public coverage, private insurance will be crowded out, and this source of revenue will shrink drastically.  That's why we need a more reliable source of revenue like that in this bill to fund the ANHA.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #410 on: August 02, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »

I am fully confident that if the effort is put forward from the Senators most involved (myself included) we can achieve the necessary modifications to this bill to make it deficit neutral, within a space of not more then two weeks. And considering my lowballing the time estimates that still leaves another two weeks or so for a margin of error. Tongue

Marokai, I'm impressed you were able to put this together. The one area where I disagree with your analysis is on the health insurance part. I don't believe that the current system has a sustainable source of revenue, since it is based on a tax on private insurance.  As more people come to rely on expansive, universal public coverage, private insurance will be crowded out, and this source of revenue will shrink drastically.  That's why we need a more reliable source of revenue like that in this bill to fund the ANHA.

The health care section could be pared down so that it modifies the current Health Care system only in terms of the revenue issue you have described here. It's a concern which I think is very real and I beleive their are possible alternatives to ensure a stable funding mechanism.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #411 on: August 02, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »

The maximum pension I set was $8000 per month, but if necessary we can make it lower.

That is $96,000 a year. Median income is $45,000-$48,000 (Marokai gave the 2004 number in a previous post, see that for an exact figure). The point is that the gov't can't afford to offer pensions at twice the average median income. Especially when we have only 2.4 or 2.5 workers per every retiree.

I would say a $2,500 -$3,000 would be a good maximum.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #412 on: August 02, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2011, 06:54:38 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

We currently spent $139.33 billion on this. Under Antonio's proposals as they stand, we probably end up spending $450 billion just to start with. These amendments do cut off some of that cost, but they're still very generous and a serious expansion of the current UI system. Though it saves money, I don't think it saves much more than $50 billion. Let's say under these amendments we go down to $390 billion as opposed to $450.
With those %:
How much  would placing a 3 year limit on UI compensation reduce the costs?  

With these:
- 75% in the 1st year
- 50% in the 2nd year
- 40% in the 3rd year.

And

A two year limit with these %s:
- 75% in the 1st year
- 50% in the 2nd year

And while your at that, score the $2,500 and $3,000 maximum from the above post on the pension section.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #413 on: August 02, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »

I declare the final vote ending on Sunday, to have been illegal for the following reasons:

1. An amendment was missed (Antonio's)
2. While debate had seized at prior periods for as long as a week, debate was on-going at the time the vote was opened.
3. Because I say it was. Tongue

and if necessary

4. Because BK will find something to say it was if necessary. Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #414 on: August 02, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »

With those %:
How much  would placing a 3 year limit on UI compensation reduce the costs?  

With these:
- 75% in the 1st year
- 50% in the 2nd year
- 40% in the 3rd year.

350 billion. It's not necessarily the cost, it's making it last six times longer than it does as of now. Even though I don't think that many people would remain on unemployment benefits that long, it still presents a drain.

300-310ish billion, I'd say. And not right away. It would take time to ramp up. Make it 70% and you get it down to 290-ish billion. (Also, taking time to ramp up.) Or a net increase in spending of 150 billion or so.

This doesn't change a whole lot. As I alluded in my post before, the money from this is coming from Antonio's calculations of payouts. 80% of the highest wage in their lives is still going to cost a hefty sum, regardless of whether or not it's capped out at $2500 or $3000 monthly.

Capped at $3000 a month: This roughly around the average payout expected under Antonio's system. Considering that fact, capping it at this amount isn't saving anyone much. Probably $80 billion or so accounting for the edge cases that make a ton.

Capped at $2500 a month: You're getting somewhere here. I'd say this saves you $200 billion off of the total cost of the program. I think if you capped it at 2.5k or 3k a month and lowered the payout calculation to 60% or something, though, you'd have a much more reasonable outcome.

Even considering these additional amendments at their most optimistic:

The strictest proposal you make for UI benefits brings you down to a net increase of $161 billion. (or roughly 300 billion in total)

The strictest proposal you make for elderly pensions brings you down to a net increase of spending around $550 billion. (or roughly a trillion in total)

That's a total of $711 billion in additional spending, only $300 billion of which is accounted for in additional revenue.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #415 on: August 02, 2011, 10:54:06 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2011, 10:59:55 PM by Marokai Sovereign »

Hate to keeping crushing Antonio's dreams like that. It's just that elderly pension programs cost a lot. Sad
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2011, 04:12:19 AM »

Maximum lifetime wage isn't really a good basis for pension benefits. If you're going for matching either the amount of taxes paid into the system or giving people less disruption in the retirement transition, a better basis would be average lifetime wage.
We need to keep in mind it's not really possible to give people a comfortable multidecade retirement funded primarily by taxes without extremely high taxes. This should be a safety net for people in desperate straights, not something for all people to expect to be completely dependent on government in their later years. That requires a complete overhaul in how we approach this issue, but for the meantime I suggest this:
70% of average lifetime earnings during employed years
maximum $2000/month

Another option would be to just have a flat rate we give to people during retirement, say $1500 for the full rate and then something proportionate based on that for those who haven't worked enough to achieve the full rate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2011, 07:49:31 AM »

While we're reducing the costs of the programs, we should also consider the eventuality of raising the amount of taxes funding it. I know some people would have difficulties to accept that, but maybe the supplementary taxes levied should be compensated by the benefits distributed.

I'm ready to make sacrifices and reduce the weigh of this bill significantly, but in my opinion this bill had always been considered as an expansion of the welfare State. I didn't think it was such an expansion, but we should avoid falling into the illusion of making this bill tax-neutral. It was never supposed to be.

BTW, Marokai, can you give us an idea of how much revenue is levied through all taxes in Atlasia as of today ? If we raise it by 10%, we should be able to generate more than $300 bilions no ? Huh If I read you correctly, your estimate only took into account the income tax (which is only a small part of all taxes if I remember correctly). If we can manage to get a 500 or 700 bio. increase, that should be fine as a compromise.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #418 on: August 03, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »

BTW, thank you Yank for canceling the final vote (even though I utterly disagree with your legal reasoning). I'll try to do my best to be worthy of your trust.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #419 on: August 03, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »

I would like to see clarification made on Antonio's question about taxes, before I offer my own thoughts, I need to know if there are revenues Marokai Blue didn't include in his estimates and how much they are.

We should keep in mind that this $300 billion in higher taxes per year and thus $3 trillion over 10 years (starting from whence they are fully in effect of course). I think we will soon hit an ideological divide on this if we haven't already. "Call it a hunch" - Sean Connery in "The Medicine Man" Wink

We could have had a hell of a lot of fun had that six months not gone to waste. Tongue Tea, anybody? Evil
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #420 on: August 03, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »

I am really loving the math you guys are doing in this thread. One thing you guys should consider is where the tax money that is already being brought in is being spent. Atlaisa already has very high tax rates. Where is that money going? Yankee's bank account? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2011, 04:24:28 PM »

No, you people seem to get the wrong idea and impression regarding my activities. I am by no means embezzling tax payer dollars. Tongue

Ah, Marokai? Your work isn't yet complete. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »

I wasn't here for a day. Sheesh. This is a thankless job!

BTW, Marokai, can you give us an idea of how much revenue is levied through all taxes in Atlasia as of today ? If we raise it by 10%, we should be able to generate more than $300 bilions no ? Huh If I read you correctly, your estimate only took into account the income tax (which is only a small part of all taxes if I remember correctly). If we can manage to get a 500 or 700 bio. increase, that should be fine as a compromise.

Sure, that's fairly simple. According to the last budget update, spending (for the year) is at $3453.31 billion, and the deficit is reducing at $40 billion a month (though that number will fluctuate constantly, but according to the last update, which is what we're going by) or $480 billion a year.

So, based on that we're bringing in around $3.9 trillion a year. (That is a ton ton ton of money!) Taxes in Atlasia are fairly high. Considering that, the idea that these taxes are bringing in 300 billion a year (remember that that is a yearly increase, which is alot of money in the long term, it's not a measly sum like you might think at first glance) makes perfect sense.

If you can cut down the cost of the pension program, though, I do have some suggestions. Introduce excise taxes on marijuana and tobacco products. Marijuana products are practically untaxed in Atlasia, to my knowledge, and though cigarette taxes are high, other tobacco products in Atlasia are not. If you increase excise taxes on those things you could probably raise 70 billion or so, and if you're comfortable going over the limit a bit, you can rest on the additional revenue we're already bringing in anyway. (The extra 400 billion a year that's currently paying down the deficit.) You'd be safe to increase net-spending by 500 or even 600 billion a year while only bringing in an additional 370 billion a year considering the other tax revenue we're bringing in, IF you're comfortable slowing deficit reduction.

That requires a complete overhaul in how we approach this issue, but for the meantime I suggest this:
70% of average lifetime earnings during employed years
maximum $2000/month

Doesn't save you a whole lot in comparison to Yankee's previous proposal of capping it at $2500 a month, not because of the lowering of the cap, but because that calculation of earnings. You probably save $300-350 billion off of the original cost of the program but that still leaves you spending $850-900 billion in total. (Which is a next increase of $400-450 billion.)

A flat rate of 1500 would reduce costs quite a bit in most cases, but it would also raise them in others, since you're making it a flat rate instead of being dependent on the wages the person has earned in their life, who may also have a different cost of living from place to place. I'd say under this plan you reduce spending of the pension program to $700 billion a year, or a net increase of $246 billion.

A decent chunk of money would still depend on how you deal with people who haven't worked much, though. But this is still certainly the cheapest retirement scheme you've all come up with so far.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #423 on: August 05, 2011, 04:04:33 AM »

OK, I see. We have to work on retirement pensions and unemployment benefits. It really displeases me, because those were the most important parts of the bill IMO.

To be clear, we can have an additional revenue of around 390 bilion. The bill currently costs around 1080 bilion, so we have to reduce it by roughtly 700 bilion. That's certainly not gonna be easy.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #424 on: August 05, 2011, 04:07:28 AM »

OK, I see. We have to work on retirement pensions and unemployment benefits. It really displeases me, because those were the most important parts of the bill IMO.

To be clear, we can have an additional revenue of around 390 bilion. The bill currently costs around 1080 bilion, so we have to reduce it by roughtly 700 bilion. That's certainly not gonna be easy.

Don't worry mate, it's not as difficult as it seems. You can still make both systems alot more generous than they are currently while being deficit-neutral.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies