Republican South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:35:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)  (Read 61930 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 20, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »

To vote or not to vote, that is the question.  I think it's pretty clear that Rubio will outpace both Kasich and Bush by a significant margin, so the race will boil down to those three.  If Kasich were the one outpacing Rubio and Bush, I'd definitely vote today, but I'm not certain that Rubio needs my vote as much as Kasich would have.  But the numbers from the Nevada caucus would seem to indicate that Hillary will eventually win out over Bernie, so voting next Saturday won't do much either.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:58:56 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 06:01:31 PM by True Federalist »

Also, what's up with this... I could have sworn there were several other dropped candidates on the Republican side...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=229608.0

Yeah, there was like 14 people who were still on the ballot... did they just remove those candidates from the ballots before they were printed (no mention of doing something like this on the P2016 website)?

While only two withdrew in time to get their filing fees back, the others who withdrew/suspended were also removed from the Republican ballot.  It looks like O'Malley will still be on the Democratic ballot because the Dems have different rules on what to do when a candidate suspends their campaign.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »

To vote or not to vote, that is the question.  I think it's pretty clear that Rubio will outpace both Kasich and Bush by a significant margin, so the race will boil down to those three.  If Kasich were the one outpacing Rubio and Bush, I'd definitely vote today, but I'm not certain that Rubio needs my vote as much as Kasich would have.  But the numbers from the Nevada caucus would seem to indicate that Hillary will eventually win out over Bernie, so voting next Saturday won't do much either.

As a registered voter are you only permitted to vote in one of the two primaries in South Carolina? It sounds like you elected not to vote today.

I still have another hour to get to the polls.  And yes, one can vote in only one primary for a particular election, even if the primaries are held on different days.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:16:44 PM »

If I decide to get more active politically where I live, it would be far more likely I'd do so in the Democratic Party than the Republican Party here.  In which case, it makes sense to have a record of voting in Democratic primaries.  If I did head out to vote tonight, it would be to vote for Kasich in hopes of pulling the GOP back towards sanity and while maybe the national GOP can be so pulled, the SCGOP is still too batguano crazy to really be reasoned with.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 07:24:39 PM »

Local coverage on WIS is being interspersed with coverage of an active shooter situation at a local mall.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »

Local coverage on WIS is being interspersed with coverage of an active shooter situation at a local mall.

Oh Dear...
No details, but Columbiana Centre is the local mall I would have least expected such an incident.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:32:01 PM »

Another state agrees; it's time to make America great again!
America is already great!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »

So far no victims reported at the mall.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »

My god, someone on CNN actually used the phrase "Rubio's third place victories" unironically. How did the media come to believe that third place is the first winner?
Radio's solid third place tonight is likely to knock out  both Bush and Kasich and I would expect Rubio to benefit most from that.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:10:06 PM »

Kasich in third place in Beaufort County ahead of Cruz with 60 of 92 precincts in.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 08:26:45 PM »

The shooting appears to have been an argument that got out of hand. Still no report of any victims
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 08:35:38 PM »

Counties with 100% still slowly trickling in. I think Trump will win them all except for Richland and maybe Greenville.

Greenville's results appear to be just absentee ballots. I'd be shocked if TRUMP fails to win every country except Richland.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »

Trump does best in counties with a large black population:

Does that mean THE BLACKS are voting for Trump?

More likely it means the rural racists are voting for TRUMP.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 09:13:41 PM »

Cruz not doing well with the military vote it would seem. In the four counties with military bases, he's come in third in three of them and fourth in the fourth.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 09:20:23 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 09:22:44 PM by True Federalist »

All of Greenwood just came in, and it's actually only 29% for Trump. That's just the second county where he's under 30.
He's under 30% in at least six counties right now. Rubio's two, Oconee, Greenville, and just barely Lexington.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 02:48:48 AM »

I swear I just heard Cruz say Charlie Condom....
Probably Charlie Condon, with an 'n' instead of an 'm', who was SC Attorney General in 1995-2003.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 03:00:18 AM »

Each of the six candidates won at least one precinct in SC. As far as I can tell, Bush only won one precinct, which would be the only precinct he won in the entire race. He got 8 votes in that precinct in Columbia County.
Why would early votes from Georgia count? Or were you thinking of Richland County?

Since everyone just suspended their campaigns instead of fully ending them, they stay on whatever ballots they filed  to be on.

So why are they not included on CNN, the State Election Commission, or the AP link? I mean, CNN is understandable, but for New Hampshire, AP included every candidate, even the ones that dropped out.

This SC Primary FAQ says that if candidates withdraw before ballots are printed, they will be omitted from the ballot. In case of later withdrawals, they will publicize that fact (which they did), and not show the counts on election night. But the results will be reported.

It appears to be a procedure that is specific to South Carolina.
Which means that TRUMP's lead is likely to end up being less than 10% once they count those since he's just barely over that now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies