The Simple Truths Silver Mine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 05:15:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Simple Truths Silver Mine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 50
Author Topic: The Simple Truths Silver Mine  (Read 121491 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: May 21, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »

It wasn't so much that Corbett got elected, it was that the GOP got elected. Corbett could have been a blank disc, and still beaten Onorato because 2010.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #626 on: May 22, 2014, 05:27:23 AM »

My favorite sentences are the ones that start with "I'm not [insert specific type of bigotry here], but..."
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #627 on: May 22, 2014, 06:08:37 AM »

Are you able to comment on any issue without somehow mentioning how horrible Obama is?

True Leftists are required by a law of the universe to disagree with every foreign action taken by the US Government ever. They are like a left-wing version of Alex Jones truther types. Literally everything has to be a conspiracy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #628 on: May 22, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »

You can tell only white males (and simfan) are on this site. You know people who feel that rapists don't deserve to go to prison and say that women are the cause of rape because they "dressed like a slut" or "let him put roofies in her drink". You know those people? Rape culture is that, and people don't realize that blaming these victims don't help. Our culture has a thing with feeling bad for rapists, and when a group of people share a similar identity on something "rape isn't real, women want it" then it is a culture. Even though it's a small culture, people still commit these crimes and it's pretty ing terrible.

tl;dr: shut up oakvale and simfan Purple heart
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #629 on: May 22, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »

Clearly Flo should choose better people to associate with.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #630 on: May 22, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »

As I recall your claim wasn't that this culture was non-pervasive or distant from your own experience, it was that it was nonexistent.

Also, it can be really hard to avoid some of these assholes, even if you want to.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #631 on: May 22, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »

As I recall your claim wasn't that this culture was non-pervasive or distant from your own experience, it was that it was nonexistent.

Also, it can be really hard to avoid some of these assholes, even if you want to.

The former claim is exactly what I mean when I say that "rape culture is not a thing". In that "rape culture" as I generally see it used implies some kind of pervasive, sweeping indictment of society as a whole as opposed to the shocking revelation that misogyny unfortunately exists.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #632 on: May 22, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »

The former claim is exactly what I mean when I say that "rape culture is not a thing". In that "rape culture" as I generally see it used implies some kind of pervasive, sweeping indictment of society as a whole as opposed to the shocking revelation that misogyny unfortunately exists.

All I can really say to that is that in my experience if you're a woman or associate mostly/nearly exclusively with women you notice these things more.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #633 on: May 22, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »

It has been my opinion and experience that until the midterms are over there's little accurate to discern about the upcoming presidential cycle. Speculations at this point fuel an interest that seems little different than the grocery store mags going on about Jay-Z and Beyonce. Given that I'm not expecting high quality on that board, let's check again in a year.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #634 on: May 22, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »

While many who served in the Confederate Army did so not to defend slavery, but their homes, that does not change the fact that no matter how much its defenders try to sugarcoat the issue, the Confederate States of America came into existing for only one reason, to defend the institution of race-based slavery.  While there certainly were other disputes between north and south, largely based on the different needs of a slave-based economy and one based on free men, those who declared independence in 1860 and 1861 did not suffer from the delusion that there was any other issue save slavery that caused them to attempt a revolution.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #635 on: May 24, 2014, 12:14:49 AM »

anti-politically correctness tends to be far more annoying than political correctness.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #636 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »

Yeah, the nice thing about political correctness is that you instantly know anyone who un-ironically complains about it is an obvious idiot.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #637 on: May 24, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #638 on: May 24, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »

Thank God Opebo has been banned, his gloating would have been unbearable.

opebo being banned and Simfan being unbanned is shaping up to be a pretty good trade, at least as far as Thailand-related threads are concerned. With Simfan you get a generally similar slant of analysis to opebo's without the gloating, glibness, or obsession with prostitution.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #639 on: May 24, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #640 on: May 24, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »

Even if they're low in actual number, the aggressive, over-the-top nature of Hilltardism naturally provokes such a response.

Yes. They're liberal Paultards.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #641 on: May 24, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »

It disturbs me that mental health is only discussed after a shooting.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #642 on: May 25, 2014, 07:03:48 AM »

it is okay guys, it isn't as if rape culture exists or anything...

This has to stop.

Not only is it a stupid and cheap point to keep trying to make and doesn't lead to any engaging discussion, it doesn't matter in practical terms whether "rape culture" actually exists or not, and actively makes it harder to raise awareness about sexual assault and stop actual rapists.

The Rape Abuse Incest National Network is the largest organization in the country dedicated to stomping out sexual assault and lending support to victims, and in a recent 16-page report to the White House about what the government and other organizations around the country can do to reduce sexual assault and bring rapists to justice actively discouraged use of this stupid f**king term. Why? Because it doesn't help accomplish anything and in fact does the exact opposite.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

By obsessively and snarkily beating the term "rape culture" over people's heads, you are blaming and shaming innocent men (and women) who are more likely than not to be receptive to sexual assault prevention messages, and turning communities against you in the process because of the insistence on placing blame on nebulous entities instead of the actual perpetrators of sexual crimes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #643 on: May 25, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #644 on: May 26, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »

Atlas is actually kind of a strange breeding ground for posters who are the opposite of the Gay Mafia, ones who believe that being anti-gay is some kind of sophisticated intellectual position and that those who don't share it are just unenlightened peons who can't grasp their extreme superior intellect that leads them to it.

Examples: Hifly, Tweed and that incoherent tarheel leftist guy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #645 on: May 26, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »

Atlas is actually kind of a strange breeding ground for posters who are the opposite of the Gay Mafia, ones who believe that being anti-gay is some kind of sophisticated intellectual position and that those who don't share it are just unenlightened peons who can't grasp their extreme superior intellect that leads them to it.

do you even know who Tweed is?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #646 on: May 26, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »

do you even know who Tweed is?

Yes, the guy who wrote that screed about how Boomer liberals think gay marriage is an important civil rights issue when it really isn't.

Nice failed "zinger". And even if I didn't know who it was, it wouldn't detract from the rest of the post.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #647 on: May 27, 2014, 06:19:14 AM »

Healthcare is NOT like any part of the economy. People do not shop around for healthcare and have no means to do it. When you have a heart attack, you don't go on Yelp and compare nearby hospitals.  You take the nearest available medical assistance at whatever cost. As a consumer, you don't know the difference between a good MRI machine and a bad one.  To compare it to free cars is bull.

I hate when economists talk out of their ass. Freaking stupid economics is more like it.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #648 on: May 28, 2014, 11:14:51 AM »

what's the deal here?  did he kick a puppy or something?

People don't like his posts so they've decided to bully him constantly instead of just ignoring them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #649 on: May 28, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »

It's time for him to really try to figure out how to get on the dole if he's not going to look for work anymore.

I also wonder what Allison and Bushie's parents are thinking about this latest turn of events...

I'm sure if we just sent Bushie's "resume" to disability benefits attorneys, they'd be falling all over themselves to represent him.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies