What mainly caused the Civil War? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:39:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What mainly caused the Civil War? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What mainly caused the Civil War?
Slavery

State's Rights

Tarrifs

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: What mainly caused the Civil War?  (Read 30837 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« on: June 30, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »

I am now convinced that EMD is more clueless than Gporter or Benconstine, to think slavery was the main cause of the Civil War is incredibly naive.  It may have been a rallying cry, but the only reason it became a major issue was later to keep Great Britain out of the war.  It does not take a scholar to tell you that the Brits were close to supporting the South but the North making it a moral crusade against slavery prevented it.

EMD, this thread only makes you look more ill-informed, go start a band or something and leave debate to the grown-up table
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »

I am now convinced that EMD is more clueless than Gporter or Benconstine, to think slavery was the main cause of the Civil War is incredibly naive.  It may have been a rallying cry, but the only reason it became a major issue was later to keep Great Britain out of the war.  It does not take a scholar to tell you that the Brits were close to supporting the South but the North making it a moral crusade against slavery prevented it.

EMD, this thread only makes you look more ill-informed, go start a band or something and leave debate to the grown-up table
Christ you are stupid. Almost everyone on Atlas said that was its main cause and yet you pick on me. Shut up, you are now on ignore.
LOL you had a few people agree that slavery may have been a main cause, certainly no one but you had that blind opinion that slavery was the only cause.  And while slavery may have caused secession, Ft. Sumter was the catalyst for the actual war.  Thank you for putting me on ignore and leaving the grown-up table, enjoy your chicken fingers and freedom fries.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »

YOU BASTARD! Tongue
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:03:21 PM »

LOL @ EMD thinking that the slave trade ended in 1808.  EMD do you also think drug use stopped in the 1980s or drinking during Prohibition?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »

The "truth" you spout is more like a proven lie. Keep on believing that your side was "right" and continue to cover up the rape, murder and destruction your people waged on the south. The facts are that many northerners made their fortunes off the slave trade and covered up their sins with the sham called "abolition". The fact is your side raped, pillaged and murdered citizens of an independent nation. The fact is your side, the lying federal government, had its filthy president throw innocent civilians in jail for speaking out against northern aggression. The only "justification" that your side could come up with was "maintaining the union" which only 30 years before the start of the war half of your states wanted to separate from.
Keep on spewing lies about slavery and your "indepdent nation" and how your side massacred black soldiers because they were black and how your side killed and imprisioned unionists in Texas and in many other states. Also keep on ignoring the facts by our "propaganda"and keep on living in a fairytale land where the South was great and noble when it had a whole race in bondage and seceeded because Lincoln wanted to stop the spread of slavery.
The only spewing propaganda and fairytales is you.  Your posts read like a cheap 8th grade textbook (I assume thats' because that's the only history you've ever read).  The only one slaughtering anyone was Lincoln killing over 300 Native Americans, only stopping when he feared it might cause the Brits to support the South.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »

LOL kind of funny.  The reason I keep posting in this thread is because its really funny that Gporter knows mroe about history.  At least Ben tries to learn from his mistakes, instead you keep spewing these fables about slavery being the main cause of the Civil War and Lincoln being a hero.  Please, once you graduate third grade, take the summer and learn about American history.  You seriously have no idea what in the world you are talking about.  You also have taken your usual step of backtracking and taking both sides to try and say that you are right.  Again, its not hard to win an argument when your on both sides of the issue, just hard to win an election.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »

I don't see any point in arguing over the Civil War.  It happened 150 years ago....All arguing does is make people hate people from other parts of the country.
The main reason it's being argued is because EMD made a thread cause he thought "OMG I am so smart and DWTL is an idiot", only to get major egg on his face
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:27:48 PM »

I don't see any point in arguing over the Civil War.  It happened 150 years ago....All arguing does is make people hate people from other parts of the country.
The main reason it's being argued is because EMD made a thread cause he thought "OMG I am so smart and DWTL is an idiot", only to get major egg on his face
Nope. 80-90% of the forum agreed with me that Slavery was the main cause of the war. I never said it was the ONLY cause did I?
The poll is not that high, and polls on this forum are almost biased toward the Union.  There are some people on this forum who I don't agree with their views, but seriously you are just an idiot.  You make no sense, your arguments are idealistic.  Please leave the forum and take your place at the kiddie table again until you grow up.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:32:54 PM »

Oh please, everyone hates you here. You are the one that needs to leave. I am never constantly called an idiot, only by you and a few radical Conservatives. You just chose someone to pick on and you figured you could pick on me because I am 14 and you though I wasn't smart. Don't mistake me for Gporter.
No, Gporter is much more intelligent.  
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:45:09 PM »

Not really.  Surprisingly this whole thread is not about you!  Most of us were having an intelligent, thought-inspired debate that benefited the content of the forum.  Then you two come along and turn it right back into middle school.
Believe me, I love debating the Civil War, something I do a lot.  But freaking out little kids is great fun as well.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »

It's fine, we all get carried away.  This thread is much better than most responses to personal issues.  The question is legitimate and sparked an intense discussion.  Don't feel bad about it, just move on.  It happens to all of us.  It's just that DWTL seems to be caught in these things quite regularly.  Hence my frustrated response.
Tongue You wanna debate or you want to get personal?  I don't get caught up in personal battles often (Gporter and EMD are actually the only two I can think of)

Anyway, why would the common southerner want to fight to preserve slavery when they did not own slaves?  I know the whole argument that the slaves were lower classed than the poor whites, but they still would have been even when slavery ended.  They wanted to preserve their way of life, which did not include slaves.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »

It's fine, we all get carried away.  This thread is much better than most responses to personal issues.  The question is legitimate and sparked an intense discussion.  Don't feel bad about it, just move on.  It happens to all of us.  It's just that DWTL seems to be caught in these things quite regularly.  Hence my frustrated response.
Tongue You wanna debate or you want to get personal?  I don't get caught up in personal battles often (Gporter and EMD are actually the only two I can think of)

Anyway, why would the common southerner want to fight to preserve slavery when they did not own slaves?  I know the whole argument that the slaves were lower classed than the poor whites, but they still would have been even when slavery ended.  They wanted to preserve their way of life, which did not include slaves.

We all already debated (including EMD) while you did nothing but make things personal.  Too late, pal.
There's been like two other posts since my comment on page 5.  And none of it debated what caused the Civil War, more its legality.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 03:28:29 PM »

The average Southerner was not fighting to preserve slavery.  However, the main cause of the war was the economic differences of the North and South, and it just so happens that the entire Southern economy rested on slavery.
So although slavery wasn't "the point" of the war, it was definitely at the heart of it all.
But while slavery was certainly a main factor in the economic differences, it was not the reason for the war.  If you made the point it was the reason for economic differences, I would buy that.  But the idea that the North started the war because it found slavery immoral is ridiculous.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 07:54:51 AM »

The average Southerner was not fighting to preserve slavery.  However, the main cause of the war was the economic differences of the North and South, and it just so happens that the entire Southern economy rested on slavery.
So although slavery wasn't "the point" of the war, it was definitely at the heart of it all.
But while slavery was certainly a main factor in the economic differences, it was not the reason for the war.  If you made the point it was the reason for economic differences, I would buy that.  But the idea that the North started the war because it found slavery immoral is ridiculous.
Of course that idea is ridiculous.  Who actually thinks the North started a war to liberate slaves on moral grounds?
The fact remains, though, that slavery is at the root of the cause, as it was the key economic difference in the North and South.
Harry, that's exactly what I was arguing with EMD in the other thread and here to an extent.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:40 AM »

The Confederate flag is the American swastika.
The Confederate flag is a symbol of state's rights turned into a bad thing by a few stupid people.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »

The Confederate flag?  I have actually, in fact it was quite an in depth conversation.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 07:54:40 AM »

Not that the Confederate states were right, but it was most definitely about states rights.
Tell me, how much of an issue do you think states' rights would have been if it had not been for slavery?
If not slavery than tariffs.  The South depended on slavery for their economy, they were mad that the Union was trying to mess with their economy through tariffs, slavery, and other things.  The war was fought because the South felt the North was trying to screw it over, that arouse from many things, one of which happened to be slavery.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »

After considering it very carefully, and reading a few propaganda books, it may very well have been a Jewish conspiracy
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »

After considering it very carefully, and reading a few propaganda books, it may very well have been a Jewish conspiracy

I hope you're joking. TO my knowledge, Judah Benjamin was the highest ranking Jew of the war.
Obviously I'm joking, but its about as much of a main cause as slavery is, which is 0%
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies