(Thread) Laws that are horses**t (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  (Thread) Laws that are horses**t (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: (Thread) Laws that are horses**t  (Read 605 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 19, 2017, 05:29:26 AM »
« edited: July 19, 2017, 10:13:07 AM by pbrower2a »

This is the thread in which you post laws that you think are bulls**t.

To start off:

Virginia has a law that makes it a felony to wear any mask in public. What if you were going to a costume party?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was also illegal to use or position an umbrella in a way that covers your face.

The law against using a mask in public is intended to deter armed robberies.  As protection from the cold when one does outside work in the winter, or in use Halloween or Purim festivities, it is  not so objectionable.

Having a mask of Barack Obama or Donald Trump while going into a bank is... suspicious. If you ever saw the movie Point Break you would understand why.  
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »

The bulk of occupational licensing laws are horseschitt. There is no reason tour guides or interior decorators should be regulated in this way.

Potential victimization. Because a tour guide might have access to children...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »

It's illegal feed a moose alcohol in Alaska.

Moose are dangerous creatures when sober.Just imagine them drunk.

A car-moose collision often results in the moose being thrown into and through the windshield and into the passenger compartment with the death of people in the car.

That law makes sense. Would you give alcohol to a bear?

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »

Indiana - Liquor stores can't sell cold pop, grocery stores can't sell cold beer, which is why every liquor store has a pop machine outside. No alcohol sales on Sundays either except for microbreweries, but that's more of a small business protection law than a blue law at this point. (it's much more expensive to operate 7 days a week than 6 days a week as a small business) Nice little boon for microbreweries on football Sundays.

Liquor laws are -- weird. I'm guessing that this is in part a Blue Law and in part an effort to divide a market. Could anyone really confuse cold beer with cold pop? Where this could get tricky is where such a law might prevent the sale of 'spiked' colas anywhere or a pre-made 'Seven and Seven'.

...Can anyone tell me whether beer is available at Sunday games of the Indianapolis Colts?

...The next time that I go to Indiana I will determine whether Dollar General, Wal*Mart, and Meijer sell both cold beer and cold sodas inside the same store. Maybe those do not count as grovery stores.   
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies