Are Democrats happy that Cain might be the nom? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:37:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Are Democrats happy that Cain might be the nom? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are Democrats happy that Cain might be the nom?  (Read 1727 times)
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« on: November 05, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »

I have several feelings on this.

From an electoral stand point for 2012: Pretty good. Cain plays well to the far right but is getting no love from the rest of the country. When he's challenged by someone who doesn't agree with him on 95% of everything, the deep flaws in his extremism will become painfully obvious. I, and lots of folks, can forgive being inexperienced when it comes to government, but being willfully ignorant of government and macroeconomics, not to mention the numerous issues Republicans don't find important enough to talk about in their debates and stump speeches, is a clear demonstration that someone is not ready to be president.

From a general welfare of the country standpoint: Going back to what others have said about a surprise super scandal hitting Obama. Its incredibly unlikely (if you think that green energy loan thing is going anywhere I have a bridge to sell you), but give that with any candidate the chance of it is non-zero, having a quality and not insane Republican nominee is important. Huntsman is probably the only one of the major players that in my book gets close enough to being a potentially decent president if its found Obama eats babies, and I have my doubts about even him. So on this front, I'm not happy.

From the long term electoral perspective: If the Republicans nominate Cain they'll forever crow about how not-racist any Republican is forever. Having met and run across conservatives my own age and younger who are blatantly racist in varying degrees, such 'proof' won't work on me, but it will work on some folks. It will work well in with the narrative that they aren't against the working poor, just against lazy people. (They're not against black people, just against criminals... who happen to always be black...) If this can be turned into a solid counter argument to point out the constant double speak Republicans employ to pick winners (rich people, white people) and losers (everyone else), while at same time crowing that they hate exactly that, then perhaps we can get beyond that kind of silliness and finally have a real conversation in this country about what is good for everyone. But as I don't think that argument will be made well, it will just be another bit of the Republican disinformation arsenal. And so on that front I'm unhappy.

On the other hand... if Cain is as much a bafoon in the general as he is presently, he could very likely drag down the Republicans in other races. This would have two likely results. The first being the obvious: Democrats retain the senate (for hold a 50/50 tie + VP Joe "F-bomb" Biden) and possibly retake the house. Once the very precarious holdings from the 2006 wave are retained, then the heavy lifting towards growing the Democratic majority in the senate begins, allowing more and better Democrats who are willing and able to push for progressive legislation. The second effect is a little more subtle, but very much plays into the current uprising of unrest with the current power system. Cain is the candidate of wall street. He might claim to be main street all he likes, but when you're the best buddies of the Koch brothers, your allegiances are kind of obvious to anyone paying attention (and general elections usually get people paying attention to such things). That coupled with the mysterious Americans for Growth and Prosperity for Liberty Fund independent expenditure groups funded by unlimited cash from who knows where always supporting the Republicans, it entrenches the idea that the Republican party is the primary beneficiary of the 1%ers and thus much more prone to doing their bidding. As economic unrest grows, dislike of the 1%ers and their allies will increase despite the constant streams of advertisements and attempts to restrict the vote. Long run, its a no win game for the Republicans as the 1%ers don't want to change, and thus anyone who's their actor in government can't change either. And a Cain candidacy will make that connection very strong.

So overall, I'd be ok with Republicans nominating Cain. The chances for a better America outweigh the risks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies