US-Canada County Maps Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:18:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US-Canada County Maps Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US-Canada County Maps Thread  (Read 39979 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« on: April 20, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »

Cool maps. Hopefully you're using a map-making program and not Paint. Shocked

This is one of my favorites: a religion map. The data for Canada is from the 2001 Census, so it might be a bit old, but not too much. The data for the US is the most recent ARDA data with some adjustments I made: I took the adherents data and compared it to the ARIS survey of religious self-identification. I found that the data matched up nationally for Catholics and minor religions but not Protestants due to the about 14% of the population that identifies as generically Christian but doesn't attend any one specific church. So I adjusted for these "invisible Christians" to ARIS levels, and divided the new total adherents by the total adult population and fixed a couple other minor issues to get this map:

Would it be possible for you to post an example of your methodology? Maybe with a WA county (King?) so I can better follow along. Cheesy

I'm surprised Franklin/Adams aren't Catholic
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »

I think it's a cool map. I knew Earl would have said something snotty before clicking though.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

There were polls by province, IIRC. Could those be incorporated? Canada would be almost all dark red... But still. Smiley

The first map might be a good indication of how Canada might vote had it been annexed by the USA long ago.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »

I have a couple more variables I can try, but I would rather not include actual election data. However, if you have election results by census division (actual percentages), I am interested in potentially doing a reverse projection: how the US might have voted if it were annexed by Canada long ago.

I would love to see that. Maybe even precinct maps?! Though Canada's small black and Hispanic populations might make it difficult to compare.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »

Thanks for sharing. What makes WA >40% and OR only >30%? Or is it a tiny difference (like 40.2 and 39.7 or something)?

If you know 90% of counties go for the Conservatives, does that mean you've already made a county map...? Given the Conservatives wins of almost everything due to vote-splitting, strength maps for each party could be interesting.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:15:40 AM »

So purple must be Sikh? And orange Jewish?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies