Minors purchasing "dangerous" chemicals and drugs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:51:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minors purchasing "dangerous" chemicals and drugs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should it be illegal for minors to purchase things that in themselves are harmless, but contain chemicals that could make bombs, etc...?  What about drugs like decongestant (which can be overdosed on)?
Yes/Yes (R)

Yes/Yes (D)

Yes/Yes (I/O)

Yes/No (R)

Yes/No (D)

Yes/No (I/O)

No/Yes (R)

No/Yes (D)

No/Yes (I/O)

No/No (R)

No/No (D)

No/No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Minors purchasing "dangerous" chemicals and drugs  (Read 1186 times)
Everett
YaBB God

« on: February 04, 2007, 05:00:29 PM »

No, it's realistic.  No one lives in a vacuum.  While there might be select few cases, I'm sure there are still ways around it if the medication is truly needed.

Again you're making a presumption. "I'm sure there's a way" doesn't make there actually be a way - just because you would like to believe something doesn't change the reality of it. If there is no adult available to purchase the medicine, who exactly is supposed to do it?
Indeed. Alcon already gave an example. I have been in similar situations before (other than my mother, there really wasn't anyone else around when I was younger), and given my numerous health problems it can become very dangerous if I don't have quick access to medications. Not everyone has adult family members and friends who are readily available to purchase over-the-counter medications.

I can understand the reasons behind wanting to prevent three-year-olds from purchasing cough syrup, but teenagers? Just because you can get high from cough syrup or manufacture drugs from various over-the-counter medications doesn't mean that all teenagers should be banned from buying them. It's not as though adults don't screw around with medications.

I don't agree with age restrictions in general, especially not those that are actively enforced by the government. If an individual store doesn't want to sell NyQuil to minors, fine, whatever. The private business can decide who it wants to sell medications to. But why should the government force stores to adhere to stupid regulations that don't prevent determined druggies from acquiring medications through some other shady means whilst making it unnecessarily inconvenient and difficult for law-abiding teenagers to buy medications that they really need? Some teenagers buy medications and abuse them, but does that mean that most teenagers abuse medications? Of course not.

I don't believe that it's the government's responsibility. That's all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies