Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:25:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate  (Read 4168 times)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« on: September 25, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »

Mocking someone does not really imply political opposition...
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Man, it's almost like schools are prisons.

...almost?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »

School lunches in America, although I have only tried them once in my life, are terrible. They're barely edible to begin with. I can only imagine what happens after you switch to "healthy options".

American food/health culture is stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Especially this obsession with "healthy foods". American culture basically tells people that they should either resign themselves to a lifetime of eating disgusting food or a lifetime of horrible obesity.

If you stop compulsively snacking (which is common in the USA) and eat reasonable portion sizes, you can basically eat anything. French food tends to be extremely fatty. Most Japanese food that people actually eat is a mixture of empty calories, fried foods, and alcohol. Real Chinese food can actually be worse than American Chinese food. But portion sizes are smaller. And that really makes all the difference.

I also guess people walk more. America also sets this dichotomy between "lol ur either a super jock or you never move". Which is how you get people who drive to the gym. And I can't help but noticing the huge percentage of Americans (mostly women) who will take the elevator to get from floor 1 to floor 2. Quite annoying when you're trying to get to floor 7.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:20:33 AM »

No one forces you to eat everything on your plate. That's absolutely ridiculous. I can't even fathom finishing everything on my plate in an American restaurant. That's practically an eating contest. Which I'm actually pretty good at, but that's besides the point.

In the end, you get more food for less money in the United States. And it's the individual who decides how much they want to eat. Making food more expensive doesn't solve anything. If portion sizes were smaller, all you'd get are people who pad their meals with appetizers and desserts. It's like saying we can solve internet addiction simply by making internet service plans more expensive. It's rigmarole.

It's a cultural problem. This idea that the evil corporations are conspiring to make people fat is just typical anti-corporate conspiratorial thinking. Especially considering that people from the two societies in the world with the most powerful corporate lobbies, Japan and South Korea, are much thinner.

I actually love American McDonalds. I can get an extremely quick and reasonably large meal for $2. It's pretty great. Buying anything outside of the dollar menu is for suckers.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »

I just read the rest of the thread (I was really busy this morning) and the point raised about portion sizes is an excellent one. Not only do we new to stop eating crappy food, we really need to stop eating so much of it. And speaking of restaurants, putting a crap ton of salt in everything is the new thing to do. It gets people hypertensive rather than fat, so they don't care, and the food still tastes good to our brain wired for a life in the wild.

See, I think that's part of the problem. This drive to stop people from eating "crappy food". When it's not really the healthiness of the food that's the main problem. All this guiltfest that tries to get people to eat food that they don't actually want to eat just causes people to tune the whole thing out.

Also, I never found American food to be that heavy in salt. Even with the extra salt they throw into things. Just because Americans don't seem to be very heavy on pickled/fermented foods and other delicious sources of sodium.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies