Chances that Thad Cochran wins the GOP runoff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:42:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chances that Thad Cochran wins the GOP runoff
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What are you predicting?
0-24%

25%-44%

50/50 basically (45-55%)

56-74%

75-100%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Chances that Thad Cochran wins the GOP runoff  (Read 1737 times)
GaussLaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »

I'm bearish on Cochran's chances and give him a 30% runoff chance.

What  do you think?
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »

I think 30%, but that number would go up if this whole ballot snafu puts Gene Taylor into a run-off, right?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »

40%
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »

Thad Cochran probably has a 25% chance of winning the runoff. Basically all of McDaniels supporters are going to go back out and vote for him again, and it seems like he could pick up the people who voted for Carey. Cochran's supporters are probably not motivated enough to go and vote in the runoff.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »

Option 2 seems like the best guess.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »

Around 25%, but that could change if Taylor gets into a runoff,  if photogate worsens, or yet another McDaniel gaffe or scandal emerges.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »

Somewhere around 20-25%.  But any of things that Harry mentioned could push it in an upward direction.

I'd call the race Lean McDaniel at this point. 
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »

McDaniels' base is clearly more motivated than Cochran's as shown by the turnout map (he got more votes form Jones County than Cochran got from Hinds, which has Jackson in it). If Cochran couldn't win this time, his chances in the runoff are negligible at best. I give him about a 25% chance of pulling it off.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »

I'm revising my earlier estimate, I'd say its somewhere around 50/50. 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 12:45:58 AM by badgate »

Mississippians, can you answer something for me?

Here in Texas, if you voted in the Democratic primary on March 4, you were only allowed to vote in the Democratic primary runoff on May 27. Is the law the same in Mississippi?

Basically what I'm getting at is can people who voted in the Dem primary go and vote in this GOP runoff? I think some of them definitely will try.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 11:38:21 PM »

Not that it is at all likely, but is it too late for Cochran to file as an independent?

(Not that he has any chance in hell of winning).

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2014, 11:44:53 PM by Miles »

Badgate, from what I gather, voters who cast ballots in the Democratic primary are the only ones who can't vote in this runoff.

Yep.

'Not a Mississippian, but I'm close Wink
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »

Not that it is at all likely, but is it too late for Cochran to file as an independent?

I believe so, the filing deadline was like March 31st. That being said MS has easy ballot access laws, one merely has to form a "party" with an official address and elected party "officers" in order to get on the ballot, Thus if it's not to late a "Connecticut for Lieberman" knockoff party type effort is entirely possible.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »

I believe so, the filing deadline was like March 31st. That being said MS has easy ballot access laws, one merely has to form a "party" with an official address and elected party "officers" in order to get on the ballot, Thus if it's not to late a "Connecticut for Lieberman" knockoff party type effort is entirely possible.

If McDaniel ends up winning the run-off, I'd call this the best possible outcome. 

At the best, a three-way race with a lot of crossover Democrats throws the election to Cochran.  At its worst, Thad doesn't even campaign but is able to garner enough vote to elect Childers as Senator. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:36 AM »

If McDaniel ends up winning the run-off, I'd call this the best possible outcome. 

At the best, a three-way race with a lot of crossover Democrats throws the election to Cochran.  At its worst, Thad doesn't even campaign but is able to garner enough vote to elect Childers as Senator. 

Wouldn't this actually help McDaniel by splitting the sane vote? (see FL-Sen 2010).
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 12:44:17 AM »

Low 20s.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:44 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 01:57:20 AM by butafly [豚フライ] »

At the best, a three-way race with a lot of crossover Democrats throws the election to Cochran.  At its worst, Thad doesn't even campaign but is able to garner enough vote to elect Childers as Senator.  

Wouldn't this actually help McDaniel by splitting the sane vote? (see FL-Sen 2010).

mcdaniel isn't exactly a rubio. more like a joe miller if anything.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 02:10:52 AM »

At the best, a three-way race with a lot of crossover Democrats throws the election to Cochran.  At its worst, Thad doesn't even campaign but is able to garner enough vote to elect Childers as Senator.  

mcdaniel isn't exactly a rubio. more like a joe miller if anything.

Travis Childers does kinda look like the Democrat who ran in that race. Maybe Cochran is the next Murkowski.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 02:21:06 PM »

Cochran has won 6 consecutive statewide elections since 1978 and the national news media are mistaking that he's been in the Senate since 1973 when he was elected to the Senate back in '78.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad_Cochran

I also give Cochran a 74% chance of winning the runoff based on his deep experience and I've gotta feel that assuming he wins the runoff and general, 2014 is likely his LAST political campaign.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 02:27:53 PM »

Cochran has won 6 consecutive statewide elections since 1978 and the national news media are mistaking that he's been in the Senate since 1973 when he was elected to the Senate back in '78.

I also give Cochran a 74% chance of winning the runoff based on his deep experience and I've gotta feel that assuming he wins the runoff and general, 2014 is likely his LAST political campaign.

Nah, I've already heard talk of Thad 2020 and Thad 2026. 
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »

5%

McDaniel is no Christine O'Donnell (as in he holds elected office), and he has every conservative group at his side (especially after Eric Cantor's defeat). It'll take a miracle for Cochran to win this runoff.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

I view Cochran as the favorite.  McDaniel has campaigned in a way that makes him vulnerable to a Democrat like Childers, even in MS.  Cochran has the advantage of being perceived as more electable in the general election, and the GOP can't punt away sure seats if they're going to take back the Senate.  If control of the Senate weren't so up for grabs, McDaniel would have already won, but no one in the GOP wants to be responsible for this year's Sharron Angle.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies