Why Trump could lose the popular vote but win the electoral college vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:26:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why Trump could lose the popular vote but win the electoral college vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Trump could lose the popular vote but win the electoral college vote  (Read 2390 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 12, 2016, 12:53:28 PM »

It's more likely Hillary wins the EC but loses the PV.  Both possibilities are non -negligable, but both are very unlikely
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:08:53 PM »

If the swing is uniform from 2012, Trump could win Romney plus OH VA FL and still lose.

Your scenario assumes Trump tanks severely with Hispanics and stays that way but white voters swing massively.  I don't think Trump wins without improving a little bit with Hispanics.

Let's say Trump loses five points with Hispanics and gains with everyone else and there are slight fluctuations in turnout.  He wins 50-50 barely 270-268 with Romney plus VA/OH/NH/FL.

Trump winning the rust belt is an overrated meme.

Maybe you're right and at this point for this candidate the Republicans have a slight edge in the EC.  But either way what I said about either result being pretty unlikely is true I think.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »

Also let's put it this way, I may very well be wrong, but I don't think the trends have moved WI, VA, and NH to the point that, in 2016, Trump is more likely to win WI than the other two.  Not yet.  I apologize because I know VA and NH are considered safe blue around here
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »

I do respect your analysis, though, it reflects intelligent thought.  I think Trump is going to have a money disadvantage and the Dems will be POURING money into PA if the race is close.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies