The right to vote or not to vote.. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 09:03:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The right to vote or not to vote.. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The right to vote or not to vote..  (Read 377 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« on: June 08, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »

We have a secret ballot. Whether or not someone votes is their own business.
It should be easy to vote and if someone doesn't like the choices why should they vote?
I like what they have in Nevada. If I lived in Nevada I would have the "none of these candidates" option.
Whether voting should be mandatory is an interesting issue, but many don't vote because
it is not mandatory. Why don't people vote? Why should they? Nobody should tell me
how to vote or whether to vote and whether I vote or how I vote is nobody's business.

Do you think third parties should be legal?   
"More voices, more choices" should be the motto of USA's politics, not "the lesser of two evils"
Vote your conscience if you vote at all.

comments?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »

I know a former Petersen supporter now supporting Johnson as "the least of three evils". He doesn't understand compromise very well.
I would prefer that Stein and Johnson were the choices over what we have now.
I'd go for Stein, of course.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 04:18:19 PM »

Thanks for your input Virginia. I appreciate that you were willing to express your opinions without bringing in undue emotion or personal attacks. We need more discussions that focus on logical ideas rather than conflict and negativity.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 04:25:11 PM »

As far as the specifics of what you said, I do wish more people cared enough to make changes.
I know that you don't agree with me and I am not supporting everything about Sanders strategy or everything he has done and may continue to do, but his candidacy was about giving people an opportunity to express their voice for changes in the status quo.

I think healthy discussion of differences is important, and it is unfortunate that elections have been and continue to so ugly with hitting below the belt and nasty gossip as well as focusing more on silly stories and soap opera like stories merely to get headlines.

I think that unfortunately Trump has exploited the anger of many people. Anger is ok if it's channeled into motivation to do what's right and best for everyone.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »

I wish the public financing of elections worked better, by the way. It was a response to corruption of soft money, but unfortunately it hasn't worked very well.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 07:27:10 AM »

I wish the public financing of elections worked better, by the way. It was a response to corruption of soft money, but unfortunately it hasn't worked very well.

Ideally, the only way to finance a campaign should be public financing. Enact significant limits on outside groups and reinstate the ban on advertising by outside groups 60 days prior to an election, which was gutted by Citizens United. Even the most robust public financing system is useless if you allow unlimited outside spending, as that just shifts the money race to Super PACs and secret money groups meant for billionaires to influence elections 501(c) "social welfare" groups. Public financing for presidential elections is useless now because candidates simply need more money to win.

Also feel obligated to state that in my novella of a post above, 'you' was a general term, not 'you' as in you, lol. This issue is particularly important to me so I can get feisty!
Thanks for the clarification, although I didn't take anything you said personally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies