Our Moloch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:08:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Our Moloch
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Our Moloch  (Read 363 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/dec/15/our-moloch/

It is undeniable that a main causal reason behind the preponderance of death we witness on the media is our culture that worships them, that places intrinsic value in the liberty to own a  tool designed to maim life. While many conservative arguments in support of minor gun restrictions I have seen on the web are fairly cogent, there is always an undertone that suggests that gun ownership is a necessity and lacks rationality. We NEED guns. We will die without them. They claim that the only way to protect themselves is through gun ownership yet if we were to dramatically reduce gun ownership the risk attached to being an American would be reduced. Banning handguns is the only way to diminish their necessity. They avoid this tricky fact because at the end of the day, they love their sexy firearms and cling to them. They'll make the Faustian bargain and allow for a murder rate to stay the same as long as they can keep their weapons. In far too many arguments, I have witnessed this admission. I weep for our nation.

"We need guns to overthrow the government!!!!" What vacuous tripe, whatever sophist came up with that successful piece of rhetoric recognized a dangerously ignorant streak in our society...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »

I thought this was going to be about the "Watchmen" villain.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »

Regardless of the content, everybody needs to read this. It's easily the most powerful piece that addresses the massacre.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »

Regardless of the content, everybody needs to read this. It's easily the most powerful piece that addresses the massacre.

The part you quoted I laughed out loud at -- haven't bothered to look at the rest since I can easily guess exactly what is written there.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »

The part you quoted I laughed out loud at -- haven't bothered to look at the rest since I can easily guess exactly what is written there.

Correction: smarmy little brats will not enjoy this article as the reading level is too high for their age level and the critical thinking skills required to digest it have not yet been attained.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »

Correction: smarmy little brats will not enjoy this article as the reading level is too high for their age level and the critical thinking skills required to digest it have not yet been attained.

I don't think someone who is referring to me as multiple people has the right to complain about my 'reading level'.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »

I read it, and I agree with Vosem-this article made an eloquent and well written comparison that in terms of substance is not any different or more special than any of the other columns about the recent tragedy in Connecticut. In short, this piece was just another attack on the NRA and gun rights written in the style of a high school senior with a 4.0 GPA trying to make his paper sound as intelligent as possible.
Foucaulf
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »

This is interesting enough, though it's clear a quarter at a liberal arts college has taken its toll on your voice.

The legislative standstill over gun laws is, I think, exaggerated. States in New England and the Midwest have the power to enforce restrictive gun laws. The problems are:

1) Guns and ammo are small, and can be brought across borders very easily;
2) Owning firearms is considered a source of entertainment. What I'm talking about is different from the culture in the article, and from hunting as well. It's those people who go on firing ranges and buy weapons out of a personal valuation of their beauty.

On one hand politicians on the federal level is too god-fearing. All that fundraising must have broken their brains somewhat, because there are few congresspeople who is willing to risk their political career on the guns issue. On the other, read this comment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's all speculative, but take it as you will.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies