California decriminalizes marijuana even more
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:37:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California decriminalizes marijuana even more
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California decriminalizes marijuana even more  (Read 983 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/01/AR2010100107046.html

So even if Prop 19 doesn't pass, this basically makes marijuana possession the equivalent of a speeding ticket and effectively removes an deterrent value whatsoever. Kind of makes voting against Prop 19 at this point pretty pointless.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 09:26:46 PM »

Not if you want it legalized, instead of this pussy decriminalization.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/01/AR2010100107046.html

So even if Prop 19 doesn't pass, this basically makes marijuana possession the equivalent of a speeding ticket and effectively removes an deterrent value whatsoever.

That's not true... otherwise people would just go 100 mph all the time.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »

This is great, but I don't see how it changes things much.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »

So even if Prop 19 doesn't pass, this basically makes marijuana possession the equivalent of a speeding ticket and effectively removes an deterrent value whatsoever.

If you speed at that level constantly, you will almost certainly be caught at some point, unlike marijuana usage where the odds of being caught are quite slim, and thus a slim penalty results in next to no deterrent. Also speeding tickets increase your insurance and can eventually lead to license suspension. Here you pay a $100 fine and forget about it. Not much of a deterrent unless you're a poor, to me a $100 fine means I have to cancel a strip club visit or record store shopping spree, it'll piss me off, but it won't stop me from doing anything I like.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 12:01:19 AM »

Given the prospects out there, some desire by Californians to just stay as stoned out of their minds as possible, is arguably entirely rational, even if they don't share my little priorities in general.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 01:00:15 AM »

If you speed at that level constantly, you will almost certainly be caught at some point, unlike marijuana usage where the odds of being caught are quite slim, and thus a slim penalty results in next to no deterrent. Also speeding tickets increase your insurance and can eventually lead to license suspension. Here you pay a $100 fine and forget about it. Not much of a deterrent unless you're a poor, to me a $100 fine means I have to cancel a strip club visit or record store shopping spree, it'll piss me off, but it won't stop me from doing anything I like.

Meh - maybe I just overvalue $100... I'm kinda cheap though. Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 02:09:28 AM »

Haha dude I know someone who once spent $200 in one night just on booze. Like you're probably a broke college student and you probably actually care about things like saving and all that. Would you ever spend $50 on a 9 song record that you already have on a CD compilation and had illegally downloaded well before that? No I doubt you ever would and if you did you probably would be embarrassed instead of sending out a mass text to a bunch of your contacts about how got it just because it's that awesome to finally own that thing that you've wanted since you were 17. Nah you're a frugal guy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »

Sweet... $100 is a lot, but California needs the tax revenue. Some of my coworkers were just joking about this the other day.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »

There's a big gap between decriminalization and legalization, mainly because legalization forces the feds to reconsider whether they can continue the war without state government assistance.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »

If you speed at that level constantly, you will almost certainly be caught at some point
More to the point, if you drive that fast all the time you're driving, you will very quickly be dead.
There aren't actually all that many roads (and traffic conditions) where you can go 100mph, or even faster, without being a serious safety hazard. Though exist they do.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 05:34:27 PM »

Do you really want to open this debate?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »

You can't make money speeding 100 mph.  A good ounce of sorted, cut, packaged weed could probably sell for up to $400.  The profit margin more than makes up for the fine.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies