Should circumcision be banned? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:18:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should circumcision be banned? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Should circumcision be banned?  (Read 12303 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: May 01, 2011, 11:38:21 PM »

I don't agree with it, but it shouldn't be banned.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »

There's increasing evidence that the medical benefits of circumcision are VASTLY overstated. Plus nothing in the developed world that can't be prevented by showering, and the foreskin is most certainly not useless.

Since the majority of us in the forum live with running water, electricity, and pretty much all of the things that led to circumcision being taken on in places like Palestine and Egypt (although virtually non-existent in ancient Norther European and Asian cultures)  and not in place.

Of course I live in a country with a 10% cutting rate, and in my age group it's not "normal" to have been circumcised (depending on where you live - basically the higher the education/income level of your parents, the less likely you were to be cut). 

I personally think it's unnecessary, with limited "benefits" - and it's only out of respect for religious practice that I don't think it should be banned.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2011, 10:46:39 PM by Fmr Gov& NE Speaker. Polnut »

No, I don't lament the loss of my foreskin.

I think that's the point - the people who are in favour of it are those who don't remember having one, have been culturally or otherwise conditioned to believe that it's dirty or something embarrassment worthy about it, or have had medical issues which required a circumcision.

It is a cultural thing, I remember I took a theatre class and we saw a University production of Six Degrees of Separation (one of my favourite plays) - now there is a scene with a completely nude man running around the apartment. Now when this scene happened in the University production - I didn't bat an eyelid... naked guy, eh moving on. But one girl in my class was traumatised because the guy was uncircumcised and didn't understand what was wrong with it... since the task of explaining it was given to me, the only non-American in the class - she seemed genuinely distressed. I basically had to say, look it hasn't hurt me... I ended up with a stalker because of it ... but as someone for whom the cut penis looks odd (well the penis will always look odd)... it comes to down to culture and religion.

It's not dirty, it's not "strange" to be uncircumcised - but while I would never circumcise my son, any more than I would remove tonsils or the appendix in advance (even though they are much more likely to be problematic), I think if you're happy the way YOU are that's great. But I don't think it's a decision that SHOULD be made for someone else, but I am respectful of the fact that it's key to a lot of people's religious practices.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies