Reform Atlasia Plan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:23:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Reform Atlasia Plan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reform Atlasia Plan  (Read 9251 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« on: December 19, 2006, 09:38:56 PM »

It, broadly, receives my seal of approval Smiley. Of course, should such a plan be approved and adopted, we'd best have new Constitution. It could either be, for example, the Third Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia or the Constitution of the Second Republic of Atlasia

I applaud the efforts of the President and all those party to the plan

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:29:18 PM »

Give me a day or two and I'll try to turn this plan into a series of amendments.  I am not at all enthusiastic about yet another Constitutional Convention.

It might be better to incorporate the plan into the current Constitution, and do all the changes that way while leaving in what's unchanged. If Atlasia were to establish a Constitutuon of the Second Republic rather than a Third Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, then that should render a Constitutional Convention unnecessary

The Senate can then consider the 'new' Constitution in its entirety and should it pass, and I hope it will, then put the entire document out to Ratification

I think to do it peacemeal (i.e. one amendment at a time) would be cumbersome Sad. Look at this Senate, for example, we've become pretty much bogged down with separate Amendments for this and that

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 02:23:16 PM »

While I accept that legislation would orginate in the General, or National, Assembly and once it passes be referred to the Senate; would it be possible for Senators to still propose their own legislative initiatives for the Assembly to consider or not?

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »

I'm completely done with the new constitution, if anybody wants to see it.

Why not Wink This is such a radical overhaul of the Atlasian government structure that I think the best way forward is a new Constitution, which will incorporate both the plan (and thus, the changes) along with the parts that are retained

I've already stated that I feel its better to do this than to do things piecemeal

Indeed, the more and more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the Second Republic. And this would be its first and, touch-wood, the last Constitution

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »

Thanks Smiley. I likely won't have any comment until morning, however

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 10:39:26 AM »

The President's 'Reform Atlasia Plan' is offical Senate business. Once the Senate feels that we can proceed with either voting on 1) a series of Amendments, as proposed by Senator Ernest, or 2) a new Constitution, as proposed by True Democrat (which I'm happy to, formally, propose), it shall

However, because of the fundamental importance of this Plan, I feel debate on it should continue until after Christmas and I've earmarked December 27 as the earliest time for a possible vote; however, should Senators feel that after the New Year would be more appropriate time to begin any voting that's fine

As a result of the passing of Article 9 of the OSPR, this plan will remain on the floor of the Senate in its existing state should it not be resolved one way or the other as of noon January 4 when the Seventeenth Senate comes into effect

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 06:29:56 PM »

The President's 'Reform Atlasia Plan' is offical Senate business. Once the Senate feels that we can proceed with either voting on 1) a series of Amendments, as proposed by Senator Ernest, or 2) a new Constitution, as proposed by True Democrat (which I'm happy to, formally, propose), it shall

However, because of the fundamental importance of this Plan, I feel debate on it should continue until after Christmas and I've earmarked December 27 as the earliest time for a possible vote; however, should Senators feel that after the New Year would be more appropriate time to begin any voting that's fine

As a result of the passing of Article 9 of the OSPR, this plan will remain on the floor of the Senate in its existing state should it not be resolved one way or the other as of noon January 4 when the Seventeenth Senate comes into effect

'Hawk'

I have no problem with a reform plan being discussed by the Senate (and indeed, concerned persons), however I must raise some procedural questions for the PPT.

At what point did this officially enter the Senate's agenda?
Who sponsored it?
If it is official Senate business, why have the amendments made to the draft not been voted on by the full Senate?

While this discussion is of interest, I would prefer and ask that instead of the discussion continuing as is, that the document, in it's current state, be layed before the Senate as per other legislation so that the full Senate can, by declared votes, decide on any amendments necessary.

I would strongly object to the document resulting from this discussion being put to a final vote before the Senate, without having followed standard Senate procedures beforehand. Indeed, I would suggest that if the document was not channeled through the legislative process as other legislation, it could end up being challenged in court reuluting in serious problems for all concerned.
[/quote]

Senator,

Basically, I've introduced (i.e. formally sponsored) the Third Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, earlier today, on behalf of President True Democrat, which I indicated was a likely next course of action (the other being to debate Senator Ernest's Amendments one by one)

The President has asked me to give it priority, so I'll be moving it into the "fifth slot" for Forum affairs momentarily

'Hawk'
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies