Who is most likely to win the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination? (Jan 2017) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:53:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who is most likely to win the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination? (Jan 2017) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is most likely to win the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination?
Joe Biden

Cory Booker

Sherrod Brown

Steve Bullock

Julian Castro

Hillary Clinton

Andrew Cuomo

Bill de Blasio

Al Franken

Tulsi Gabbard

Kirsten Gillibrand

Kamala Harris

John Hickenlooper

Tim Kaine

Amy Klobuchar

Martin O’Malley

Deval Patrick

Bernie Sanders

Elizabeth Warren

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Who is most likely to win the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination? (Jan 2017)  (Read 2532 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 13, 2017, 06:07:25 PM »

At this point, the two most likely potential candidates to become the nominee are Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren. If it's booker, or another corporate Democrat, I can't say I'll vote for them, despite my strong party loyalty and disdain for Trump.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:36:40 PM »

At this point, the two most likely potential candidates to become the nominee are Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren. If it's booker, or another corporate Democrat, I can't say I'll vote for them, despite my strong party loyalty and disdain for Trump.

I totally get why Booker is bad, but why is he so bad that you'd let Trump win over him?

I already voted for one disappointing Democrat, why should I vote for another one? Perhaps if the party realizes corporate candidates will depress turnout among the party's base, they'll stop nominating them.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 11:41:35 PM »

I totally get why Booker is bad, but why is he so bad that you'd let Trump win over him?

I already voted for one disappointing Democrat, why should I vote for another one? Perhaps if the party realizes corporate candidates will depress turnout among the party's base, they'll stop nominating them.

I think stopping Trump is a bigger priority than the ideological purity of the replacement.

I'm not an ideological purist. I'm certainly willing to compromise on many issues. However, being so aligned with Wall Street and corporate interests is not one of them. If that means a second Trump term, as absolutely horrible as that is, then so be it.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:12:37 AM »

I think stopping Trump is a bigger priority than the ideological purity of the replacement.

I'm not an ideological purist. I'm certainly willing to compromise on many issues. However, being so aligned with Wall Street and corporate interests is not one of them. If that means a second Trump term, as absolutely horrible as that is, then so be it.

But isn't Trump also aligned with corporate interests? Look at his cabinet. Booker is vastly preferable to Trump on other issues, even if he's terrible on economics.

I'm not suggesting that Booker is equal to or worse than Trump, nor am I saying that I disagree with him on all or perhaps even most issues. What I am saying is that, regardless of the outcome, I won't again vote for a candidate closely aligned with Wall Street and corporate interests - period.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »

But that's what the message was from Democrats in 2016, and look where that got them.

But he's asking about a hypothetical in which Booker has already won the nomination.  If Booker and Trump are the respective nominees, and you agree with Booker on many more issues than Trump, then why not vote for Booker?

Because apparently there's a limit to the number of "corporate Democrats" that one can vote for in one's lifetime.

Yes, there is a limit. Even 1 exceeds it.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:37:26 AM »

But that's what the message was from Democrats in 2016, and look where that got them.

But he's asking about a hypothetical in which Booker has already won the nomination.  If Booker and Trump are the respective nominees, and you agree with Booker on many more issues than Trump, then why not vote for Booker?

Because apparently there's a limit to the number of "corporate Democrats" that one can vote for in one's lifetime.

Yes, there is a limit. Even 1 exceeds it.

Why?

It should be self-explanatory, but I abhor the practices of Wall Street, large corporations, and capital interests, and any candidate who's cozy with these enemies of the American people shouldn't be anywhere near an office of power.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies