Senate Bill: Let's Really Eliminate Farm Subsidies Act (Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 10:34:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Bill: Let's Really Eliminate Farm Subsidies Act (Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Bill: Let's Really Eliminate Farm Subsidies Act (Final Vote)  (Read 5253 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: October 12, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »

Growing up in rural areas my entire life, I also understand the importance of farm subsidies, and would be extremely disappointed if we abolished such an important resource to our the breadmakers of Atlasia.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »

We still don't have a GM, correct? A cost analysis on this if it were just reserved to small farmers would be extremely beneficial.

In my hometown, if we eliminated farm subsidies to small farmers, my town would completely collapse, as would thousands of other farming communities throughout Atlasia.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »

We still don't have a GM, correct? A cost analysis on this if it were just reserved to small farmers would be extremely beneficial.

In my hometown, if we eliminated farm subsidies to small farmers, my town would completely collapse, as would thousands of other farming communities throughout Atlasia.

I wonder though, why do these communities support Republicans. And correct me if I am wrong, but it's not just because of social issues. They support Republican economic policies until it affects them. The poor people in urban and suburban areas be damned.
Too bad this is Atlasia, where welfare is much more prevalent than in America. If the government is to play such a heavy role, as most in here support, I don't see what is so awful about providing assistance to the farmers who need it, unless it's just a middle finger to those with different values.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »

I wonder though, why do these communities support Republicans. And correct me if I am wrong, but it's not just because of social issues. They support Republican economic policies until it affects them. The poor people in urban and suburban areas be damned.
Too bad this is Atlasia, where welfare is much more prevalent than in America. If the government is to play such a heavy role, as most in here support, I don't see what is so awful about providing assistance to the farmers who need it, unless it's just a middle finger to those with different values.

There is nothing in this bill that prohibits social spending/welfare in rural communities. Why should we subsidize agriculture though?

Also in real life it is rural communities that give a middle finger to those with different values.
With the elimination of subsidizes, we are destroying rural Atlasia. Not only will countless farms be lost as a result, but thousands of small businesses will go under as we transition to an urbanized nation even more rapidly than before. A lot of folks would be negatively affected by this legislation - I don't think the reward of a little extra money in our pocket is worth the affect this will have on so many communities.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

As much as some would like to frame why I have put this legislation forward, this is, in no way, any vendetta towards any persons lifestyle. If I had my way, there would be plenty of subsidies that would get the chopping block. Sadly, even my friends on my side of the aisle would not support many of those efforts. This is one that has a bit more of a broad base support, so I decided to put it up. If people are going to get offended and make it personal, that's their problem, I don't give a damn.
Making it personal by explaining the affect it would have in rural communities, as I am one of the only folks in this body who actually have lived in one? If you want to call it that, be my guest.

It's fun to stick to "principles" in this game and support legislation like this, as unlike in reality, you don't actually have to worry about how this would affect people's lives. I'm trying to keep that bit of reality into consideration here. For many individuals, farming is all they have...it's all they know.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »

While there are many other provisions that would need to be in place for me to support this bill, this amendment has my support.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:23:31 PM »

Please give me a bit of time - I still have an amendment I may want to introduce.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

First, I wanted to clarify that this bill will not eliminate crop insurance. Am I correct in this assumption? I'm also confused where the $4 billion figure came from, indicating that $6 billion is currently spent, as the current budget states this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here is my first amendment:

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »

I don't object but there is something I would like to change. I would like to make it clear that the cap on unemployment benefits would still apply to farmers as well. So if they made $100,000 in 2014, they shouldn't get $100,000 in unemployment checks.
That sounds reasonable enough.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »

Assuming we aren't eliminating crop insurance, we would need to determine how much the government is going to designate for that, then go off the remainder to determine the first two clauses.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »

So that leaves it to $8 billion for farm subsidies...

Amendment:
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 01:54:16 AM »

Mississippi ftw
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

Is there anything else we can do about this guys?
While I will still be voting Nay, I think the damage this will do to rural areas is less than under the original text.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 10:06:56 PM »

Still not sure how that number correlates to the numbers passed in the 2014 budget...

I object, requesting that the 40% be moved back down to 25% - if this is going to pass, lets at least ease into it, allowing those who will surely be displaced to find other sufficient income.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »

Objection to Amendment 57:60 is withdrawn.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies