Canadian federal polling division files (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 01:38:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 169402 times)
adma
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »

Tories 30-40%

Kitchener

Liberals 30-40%

Waterloo (they narrowly lost the riding, but Waterloo has the university and also a strong high-tech sector, the location of RIM, the maker of blackberry thus why it is the most liberal part of K-W)

Though rather ironically, it's represented provincially by a rare remaining urban Tory, Elizabeth Witmer.

I think Waterloo's remaining Liberal (presumably by a hair's thread--and have advance/special polls factored in in any way in the analysis?) has more to do with its being circumscribed entirely within Kitchener-Waterloo riding, where Andrew Telegdi had residual strength and, to be frank, few really saw his recount defeat coming.  In fact, I believe the voting-profile difference between the cities of Waterloo and Kitchener would be negligible, if it weren't for Kitchener including a big chunk of Kitchener-Conestoga, where the Tories' Herb Albrecht was first elected in '06 and reelected in a landslide in '08.  (In and of itself, the Kitchener part of K-Con would probably be much more Liberal-leaning if distributed into a different type of riding.)
adma
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »

I suspect that Hudson is only blue because this is where cabinet minister and Tory senator Michael Fortier tried for his Commons seat, skewing the non-Bloc picture on his behalf.  (And Harper's first home was in Leaside; his family moved to the Etobicoke in the 1970s.)
adma
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 09:23:24 PM »

In light of the recent municipal elections as well as the awkwardness of mapping the Ile de Montreal by municipality, anyone want to do a map that also divides Montreal proper into its constituent boroughs?
adma
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »

Through his Global TV associations (the Asper family et al), Peter Kent might as well be "Jewish by proxy".
adma
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:52:13 AM »

Looking through this thread, I'm wondering if there's an alternate solution to the election-mapping conundrum; maybe something subtler along the lines of tag clouds and the like--i.e. not just colour-coding according to poll winners, but according to the support for *all* parties; it may take a lot of effort to figure a properly "ergonomic" colour-gradation formula for all of that, but I think it's worth it, esp. in zones like Alberta where it's all a cloud of winner-take-all Tory blue...
adma
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:49:21 PM »

Liberal vote in Ottawa-Orleans is apparently largely Francophone now, but from working on this map I've noticed that newer developments (the south-east in Avalon etc, south of Innes Road in Chapel Hill South, some parts of Beacon Hill-South/Cardinal Heights) are more Liberal than average, which is kind of weird. Maybe the new people there are government employees or something, because high-growth suburbia tends to vote Tory in the 905. Tory areas seem to have older houses, are more Anglo etc.

Re the 905--not necessarily.  For instance, in the Brampton ridings, the highest-growth places tend to be Liberal, while Tory support is most solid in the older nabes and pre-1980 suburbia of Old Brampton and Bramalea.  (Ethnoburbanism plays a part.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies