Russian cruise missiles hit Iran (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:36:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russian cruise missiles hit Iran (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russian cruise missiles hit Iran  (Read 1532 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 09, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »

Syria and Iran don't even share a border. How the hell can Russia justify this as a mistake? Huh

How do you get a missile from Russia to Syria? I don't think it would be the best idea to fly it over a NATO country like for example... Turkey. That leave the Caucasus-Iran-Iraq route.
Well they can fire from  the med and do. This was about a show of power moreso.

Can't they fire from their base at Tartus?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »

This story is absolute rubbish. No such incident has been reported by any other news agency (except the UK Telegraph, which is just copying the original CNN report).
Um, it was on all major US news channels and websites.

I should have been more clear: I meant the initial US defense officials' suggestion of a short strike hasn't been corroborated by independent or foreign analysis. US and foreign media are all just repeating what CNN reported initially. Here is an example of what I mean:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Four cruise missiles missing their target and crashing into an allied nation is too notable of an event for all reports of it merely to repeat allegations of unnamed spokespersons. Contrast this to the MSF hospital bombing in Afghanistan, which was verified immediately and reported worldwide.

I will gladly retract what I've said before if I am mistaken, but until then I stand by my original assessment: the original claim is unsubstantiated and should not have been broadcast without some type of independent verification.

The original headline has "US officials say" right in the headline. That's true, they said it and the US making such a claim is notable.

I'm actually somewhat sympathetic to the idea that this whole incident might be propaganda, but it's ridiculous to say that this news should not have been broadcast.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies