Pope Francis accepts evolution and Big Bang theory, says God isn't a magician (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:56:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis accepts evolution and Big Bang theory, says God isn't a magician (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis accepts evolution and Big Bang theory, says God isn't a magician  (Read 2027 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: October 28, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »

Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it”.

No. But, this is the PONTIFICAL Academy of. . . Sciences.

Honestly, I'm glad he's interested. Christians need to hear that evolution is okay, I suppose.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »

Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it”.

No. But, this is the PONTIFICAL Academy of. . . Sciences.

Honestly, I'm glad he's interested. Christians need to hear that evolution is okay, I suppose.

Not just ok, but common sense...unless of course we discover magic one day.

Yes, agreed. My point was kind of that the pope's statement is neither scientific nor an endorsement of science; it is a purely theological statement. Now having said that, I don't know what the theological ramifications of it are exactly - because it's not entirely consistent to me, so it sounds as though instead of God creating everything with his hands God initiated the Big Bang, which is a theological statement. In the end, I'm just glad the pope is interested because there are plenty of religionists and apologists who just aren't. Scientific reality is to them some annoying thing that has to be worked around.

Hawking once said that the more science finds out the less there is for God to have done, and I'm not sure what the pope would think of that.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies